ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very happy this weekend. Finally put the turbo injectors in the car. What an incredible difference. Dyno'ed 262.7 hp and 281.5 ft/lb of torque to wheels on a Dynojet at 10.29psi (0.7 bar).

This is especially fun since I am using a $200 junkyard NON-turbo motor, junkyard I/C, and Paxxton rising rate regulator (MUCH more reliable than other brands), stock NON-turbo afm and t/b.

Rcr X
--- '77 280z turbo + a little shot of NOS that I will be dyno'ing next - as soon a I can afford the time.

Oh, the car now side-steps BIG TIME in second gear on roll-on acceleration.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
RE: Dyno'ed 262.6hp @10psi at wheels

Assume, those are great numbers for 11 or so psi of boost. You must have a good exhaust that your torque is not higher. You should be running low to mid 13's on street tires. Send me some pics and info on car and engine and I will post them on my homepage.
www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: Dyno'ed 262.6hp @10psi at wheels</b>

That's 10.29psi , not 11 or so - thank you very much... I worked real hard to keep that boost pressure (lots of previous boost creep prob's).

Pic's?? Boy, now you are going to make me clean my engine compt again!! As my daily driver, it doesn't stay presentable very long.

The motor is still running way rich, so the spool up can be improved on. The run was actually made in third gear. From experience, more hp is usually available in 4th (1:1 ratio), but I was nervous about beating up on a junkyard mtr and wanted to keep the runs as short as possible, at least untill I am comfortable with the new combo.

The exh is a home-made system with a 2 1/2" downpipe, and a 2 3/4" stainless ctr pipe built from scrap '93+ Z28 exhausts. It's not especially pretty, but actually flows darn well.

If I can make time, I will try to get the car cleaned up and scanned in the next couple of weeks.

Rcr X

240z turbo wrote:
-------------------------------
Assume, those are great numbers for 11 or so psi of boost. You must have a good exhaust that your torque is not higher. You should be running low to mid 13's on street tires. Send me some pics and info on car and engine and I will post them on my homepage.
www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard

·
Registered
625 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one with a junkyard dog

I 've got a 2.9L junkyard dog motor I completed a few weeks ago that was built with sub par parts but so far runs great. I just recently removed the Fel pro .020 copper headgasket spacer because of poor fit and sealing characteristics and now have 10.6:1 compression on my N/A motor and it runs fine o 93 octane gas. True hot rodding is based on budget motors and not a bottomless bank account motor. Although, I would love a bottomless bank account to build a 1000 hp skyline engine for my 240Z.LOL Later,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: junkyard dog - fun to make more hp</b>

Yea, I try to think of it as a challenge to make more hp or go faster than the guys that have dropped lots of $$, but maybe not have done as much research or been as creative. It keeps me from being depressed about not having the funds to build something really crazy!?!?!

Plus, it doesn't hurt quite as much when you do something really stupid and things go 'boom'... Not that I have ever been there you know.........

Btw Norm, what is your 2.9L built up from. I remember seeing a post a while back, but never got the low-down. How is it running??

Rcr X '77 280z turbo + a touch of C4, uh, I mean NOS...

·
Registered
625 Posts
RCR X here is the low down on my 2.9L junkyard dog

My 2.9L consists of an old spare 280 block I had lying aound that had seen two broken cranks from one too many no lift throttle drag racing shifts.I took this block and shaved the dished pistons .015 by hand on some 100 grit sandpaper and used a micrometer to keep em consistent. I then took the rod and piston assemblies to work and blanced each assembly to 1445 gramsexactly on a very expensive paint scale that measures down to 0.1 gram. I used an old diesel crank that had seen better days and am now running two stock fel pro head gaskets to keep the pistons from hitting my previously .070 shaved N42 head that I personally ported and polished some years back.piston to head clearance is approx. .035. I had to do some grinding work at the bottom of the block to insure adequate clearance for the rod bolts also. Now the amazing part is I did nothing to the very slight wear lip at the top of the block and the cylinders have around 190 psi each when checked with a compression gauge. I've put about 2000 miles on the engine so far and it uses no oil! The thing is very strong down low and pulls great up to 6800 rpm but i am going to need more carbueration if I am to exploit this combos full power potential. Total cost of this engine project including the old maxima I bought, about $350-$400 . Now that is what I meant by the true spirit of Hot rodding. But really, I would rather have 240z turbo or Chris Beheney's financial resources to build the monster motors they both have in their Z cars!! LATER,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<b>RE: Dyno'ed 262.6hp @10psi at wheels</b>

Sorry!!! rcrx but, that is really hard to believe that you have that much hp. on a n/a engine with a turbo and running .7 bar. That junkyard engine will not last that long! Dentation will occur!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<b>RE: Dentation???</b>

Detonation only occurs if you run too much timing with not enough fuel. I forgot to mention that I also have a Crane Hi-6S with timing retard control (boost related).

Rcr X

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.