ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to talk about the dyno runs made at zhome.com . He has measured the results of some fairly common upgrades that Z fans do to there cars . It is good to see some actual #'s on paper . Manufacturer's way overestimate what the product will improve your cars performance . I have the MSD system listed and was dissapointed to see it did not change HP than much . My car is a 78z after this upgrade I did notice a difference in the cars driving charachteristics . Throttle response was better and it seems to drive smoother at low rpms . I would recomend this to other people as an upgrade, it gave me more results when I put a header and 2-1/2" exhaust . My exhaust sounds great that is worth it in itself . If you read Sports Compact Car they got 15 extra horse out of an Altima 4 banger from K&N intake and new exhaust .

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: Dyno runs and modifications

Ahh... You must be talking about Keith Thomas' tests on the Reckert Racing ITS car. Keith is a Lockheed Martin Engineer and a member of a group of guys I have dubbed the Mud Wrestling Pigs. You are right about throttle response from the MSD unit. It would not give you any more HP but because it burns up more fuel at the lower RPM (below 3K) perhaps it flattens out the torque curve a bit. I will have to look at Keith's charts again. Maybe I will just e-mail him. Where did you mount your MSD unit? Do you get radio interference? I have one sitting on the bench in the garage but I can't seem to find room in my engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: Dyno runs and modifications

Clint, I did take another look at Z.HOME and the dyno result you are looking at. You realize that the dyno comparison depicted is between a Jacobs system and the MSD so you aren't seeing stock ignition in there at all. I will e-mail Keith and see what he has to say about it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Dyno runs and modifications</b>

I have a sneaky place for you that has not caused me problems yet . I took off my front cowl and put it in the little compartment by the wiper motor, wires barely reach . I had it for 3 years with no moisture problems . I did get radio interference a Capacitor might clean that up, I took all my stereo crap out I ran out of space . I have the stock radio which I never use bought for $2 in good condition and along with an uncracked console with lid $5 .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.