ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is 5:20 am est and I just finished manufacturing the steel plates to weld to my front diff mount. I've been waiting to get the car into the shop but my mechanic is STILL too busy to get me in. So I decided to do it myself. He gave me a spare diff mount (free.. how nice of him) and I brought it to work tonight, cleaned it up and took it down to the maintanence dept to get some steel for the fabrication. It went straight forward enough since my mechanic gave me detailed instructions on how to do it. (an hour or so just ploding along) Now all I have to do is wait for maintanence to come in for the morning shift and ask one of them to do the welding. I'll install this mount on Monday or Tuesday weather permitting and then I can really give the Z a workout! After a day or two of normal driving to make sure the welds are ok, I'll take it out and put my G Tech on it and post the times and settle this once and for all. (right Norm?) hahaha.
I have been babying the car for the last 3-4 weeks with the diff like this so I have not participated in any drag races yet. (though there have been waaaayyy too many opportunities *#!!*#*#!!!!)
Time to pack it in for the night.. I'll be back here Sat and Sun night to keep up with all these posts. I have read almost every single one over the last few months. :p
ZR8ED

·
Registered
364 Posts
How did it turn out?

ZR8ED,

I came back today... and was wondering how things have worked out? Is it done???? How did the initial testing go?

Let me know,

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: How did it turn out?</b>

So far so good. The part is mount is ready. Will try to install on Tues. Biggest problem is getting the car high enough to work on. My floor jacks does not fit under the car. I'm going to back the car up on 8ft 2x12's planks with bricks underneath for suppport and make a giant ramp to drive the car up onto. I have those metal car ramps also but the car won't go up them. Either the air dam hits it before the wheels do or else the back tires are too wide and in any case the front air dam drags before the rear is up on the ramps. I tried... and chipped the air dam doing so. Lowered cars can be such a pain. I have to drive the car onto 2x4's at the shop just so we can get the hoist arms under the car...????!!!!
The car looks sooooo cool it is worth it!
ZR8ED.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I hear ya.....

Scott....

Man do I hear ya there.... Lowered cars can be a pain to get up in the air. I like to work on the car myself in my own garage. I have a set of those ramps like yours, but I don't use them very much. I do this instead.... I picked up a floor jack. Slide it under the rear and raise it up first, this allows me to get to sides in the front much easier. Once up in the air, I use good jack stands, and have been known to place wood under the wheels. I work on my car alone and if it should ever drop, I would only be noticed from the stink of my body rottening.... So safety is very important to me.

Dude, why are you burning the midnight oil so much lately???? I know the feeling tho.... sometimes its because I want to get something done....other times its because I'm to excited to wait till the next day to finish the job...

I was at Rebello's Racing on Sunday morning... met Mike there and a friend... who had some SU's modified. Mike does a few trick's to them... and he claims they run very well on 3.0's, I said really... So my Mike said, let me show ya..... So we jumped in his 72, and went for one **** of a ride.... I was impressed....

O'well.... I'm rambling... for no good reason....

Talk to you later..... let me know when your done... and how well it turns out...

Also, thanks for the late night tips....keep posting those

Cheers,
Dennis

·
Registered
235 Posts
RE: I hear ya.....

Hey Dennis,
I've taken Mike's wild ride out by the airport. Ssssure does bring a smile to your face. The carbs are on the list after the exhaust and 3.9 LSD.

James
IZCC #81
72 240Z

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.