Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My '82 has a steel line running from the passenger side at the front of the heater hose to some kind of valve (possibly cold-start?) on the driver's side, atop the intake. Engine coolant flows through this line. Some rust has gotten to it and it has sprung a leak, making coolant spray onto the intake.

I'm really dreading locating an exact replacement and repairing this. Can I clean off this part of the pipe and use some kind of epoxy or ez-weld to close the hole? What substance will stand up to the heat and pressure of the engine coolant?

Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: Can someone help with this line?

Jon, I am going to have to guess from your discription that you are talking about the Air Regulator heat. You should have a device on top of your intake that opens when it is cold and closes after the engine warms. It allows more air to pass through during cold starts. It is kind of the EFI answer to a choke. The coolant line heats it up a bit quicker. I have eliminated the coolant line on mine to keep my intake charge a bit cooler. Everything still works fine but then I live in the Mojave desert! You should be able to find this line at any pick and pull.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>Thinking Outside the box...</b>

Hi Jon,

I wouldn't try to do what your thinking... it might last for awhile, then it will either leak somewhere else on the line or at the same location. Information you shared was good... In this case the best thing to do is replace the line... which appears to be what you don't want to do.... I would think the next best choice is to possibly cut the line and patch it by using a piece of hose and ring clamps. I'm not sure where the leak is or if this is even possible. If thats a bad idea, how about disconnecting or plugging the flow...

Good Luck
Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are you dreading replacing the line?

Any parts for the Z are easy to get and cheap. YES Cheap! If you can't afford the right part to keep your car running, maybe you shouldn't own a car. Do the job right, your Z car deserves it.

Z on brothers and sisters

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: Can someone help with this line?</b>

Just cut the portion of the steel line out that is rusted and add a piece of 3/8 inch heater hose long enough to reattach it. If the entire line is rusted just replace the entire line, with the rubber hose, that you can purchase by the foot at any auto parts store. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.