ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bumbl-Z? I must have missed that post for Granpa Joe, but I can sure visualize something way out there with black and yellow.

As far as existing color schemes, Phantom's is so tastefully done maybe it should be named for him: "Phantom of Z Opera red" perhaps.

I think a cool color scheme for a Z might be white with tastefully done red scallops on the rear. I would be a "Gee Bee Z". Hah!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
RE: Bumbl-Z and other out-there paint jobs

OK, OK
So tell me John - what color is your Z? I'll bet it's brown - right?
Anyway - thanks for the compliment on Zack!
Phantom

PS: My first '77 was brown and it ended up Porsche Royal Guardsman Red. 8 coats of red and three coats of clearcoat. Lasted four months before it got stolen!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phantoms Z and the BUMBL Z

I found out, to my dismay, that Phantoms suggestion for the color scheme would run me arount $2500 to $3000 and my budget/wife can't handle it. Will have to stick with Silver with black accents. Might be the SLVRBLT.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoops-Forgot to say

Phantoms Z looks super. I can only hope mine turns out somewhere in the realm of his quality ride...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Tag: HI YO SLVR

Hang in there Joe, stay with your dream, save the income tax returns, insurance rebates, change from the pockets, etc. Then when all else fails - Charge it!!!!
I've done it all with mine. Still have a long way to go with Zack. All the door, hatch & side window rubber molding needs replacing. Car is not watertight at this point and spring is here.
Had a thought - how 'bout black with a yellow stripe?
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>RE: Bumbl-Z and other out-there paint jobs</b>

Phantom,
Only my nose is brown and only at work. My '82 is red (faded dull orange now) and the '75 is gold. Sincerely like your taste in color and style, tho. Zack is a sure a beautiful car. Are you gonna have him at the Motorsports show in Orange in April by any chance?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>One more comment for the road</b>

Granpa,

I'm sure you've heard this one (modified for current circumstances): My wife told me I had to choose between painting my Z the color I want -- and her. God, I'm going to miss her.

Ha ha. Kidding of course (as my wife is giving me the evil eye). Goodluck on the paint job. Lets us all know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Colors of the Rainbow;)

hiya all,

I know it will be a long time before I get my 240Z painted and looking spiffy but i have a few questions for you paint pros, i was wondering is there any websites that have a colorchart you know a sample of most of the colors for cars.. i'm looking for something unique... i was thinking of getting my car painted like the chameleon color if i have the money hehehe Chameleon Z! hahahah One of a kind, if one of you already beat me too that please give me your address so i can key your car heheheh....just kidding... but speaking of keying like i said i don't know much about auto painting.. but do they have stuff that makes it harder for the paint to be scratched or a car to be keyed.. my worst fear is for like rocks to come up and hit the car and scratch stuff etc.. etc.. or mr. key meeting mr.Z:(.... but thats about it now

·
Registered
195 Posts
Poly-urethane-and a Mystic Z.

There is really nothing on the market that will keep keys from hurting the precious paints on the Z's. The only thing I can think of is a product made by the Smith and Wesson company, and having one in your car, may be against local laws in your area, so I would check first.

The substance that will help prevent rock chips though, is a flex agent, known as poly-urethane. More and more shops are starting to mix the agent into the paint, that they spray on ground effects, and even onto the front part of the car. The problem that I have experienced though, is that the paint tends to get the "orange-peel" effect. It kinda ripples. There is just nothing you can do about it, with the flex agent in the paint. It helps, but not enough for me to loose trophies at shows, because the guy next to me had a smooth front clip, and I had ripples. I'd just as soon spend the money later on to have a spot touched up.

As far as custom colors, I love the mystic paint that Ford sprayed on the Cobras. This is a super hard technique to get right, and at the time, it is VERY expensive. I would love to show a Z painted this color. Would make for some interesting purples and greens on the body rolls of the Z car.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.