ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound really stupid (and I bet you won't find this in the archive), but I was replacing brake pads this weekend, for the ump-teenth thousandth time, when I sarted to wonder what keeps the pads from dragging all the time; i.e.. the piston puts pressure on the disk via the pads, but when the piston releases the pads are free to stay on the disk b/c their not affixed to the piston. Is it the friction of the spinning disk that kicks the pads back toward the caliper piston or what?

·
Registered
14 Posts
RE: Brake Pad? Just wondering

Gotta confess, I've wondered the same thing. Differential valve pulls piston back, calipers on my z are sliding; tolerances are very close here, apparently doesnt take much. I'm sure some of the gurus here will give us the lowdown physics of this.
Use at least the semi-metallic brake pads; may have to shop a little. Hope this helped; know anything about intermittent spark on the 80 ZX? Need any spare parts?Thanks, MM

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: Brake Pad? Just wondering</b>

OK here's why! as you push down on the pedal the caliper pistons slide just a little bit(you are talking thousands of an inch here) over the seals in the caliper(o rings, of course). When you lay of of the pedal, the o rings snap back to their original position, as they were twisted in the first [lace by the sliding action. this is what causes your calipers to go bad, as either the o rings are too shot to retract the piston(and leak) or the piston sleeve itself is too rusty to permit the retraction of the piston, as the torsional forces of the pistion o rings are tooweak to compensate for the extra drag of the rust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.