ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now I understand why the mechanics are having so much trouble diagnosing my idle problem. I finally picked up the Haynes manual and, according to it, the problem could be just about any part under the hood except my wiper motor -- unless it's a Tuesday and the moon is full, in which case it just MIGHT be that motor!!! But seriously, all the generous advice everyone has given me was right there, and now I understand why there are about three dozen things I should check out. I especially like it when the Haynes says it can be caused by 'something in the fuel injection or emissions control systems.' That really narrows it down. HA! Do they have a Psychic Mechanics Network? That's what I really need. Well, for what it's worth, I'm planning on going after the AFM next, 'cause most of you, and my mechanic, said it was the next likely target. Keep your fingers crossed ... and burn some incense. I'll spin the prayer wheels and give it a go!...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Manuals Are Only Half the Answer

You've got to use a little common sense too. For example, ask yourself what weakest link is in the chain of interactive components that's likely to be at fault. A gasket's more likely to be dried out than a valve is to be warped or a piston is to be scored, right? A wise mechanic checks the gasket first.

Good diagnostic mechanics tend to think like Sherlock Holmes, who says, "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, is the solution." Adapted for the benefit of amateur wrenches, this comes out, "If it ain't none of that stuff there, then it for sure orter be this here thing." A bit of forethought can save you a lot of frustration out in the garage. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.