ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had plenty of experiences with the newer 300z guys on the road while in my z. They will not even look over or give a thumbs up!??! what is the deal? When I pass another 1st gen guy we always at least acknolodge eachother. My z is by no means stock or a piece of crap so....are these people all stuck up or what...are they more worried about tire noise and stickers???? So I ask again what is the deal? Mabey I am just grumpy.....
Zya Travis 77z

·
Registered
403 Posts
RE: Beg. to think 90-96 300z guys are all snobs.&l

I personally doubt about 95% of 90-96 owners could care less about old cars. Just a whole different crowd (unless they're enthusiasts, but most of them aren't)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It's the same way around here Travis.. For the most part anyway. I don't think that the 300 guys see the heritage. However, I've run with many a 300 on the interstate, and usually get the "Wow, you kept up" acknowledgement. hehe

Brett

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Beg. to think 90-96 300z guys are all snobs.&a

You shoulda given them the same acknowledgement! Once apon a time ago I had a '66 Vette roadster, was the exact same thing, the newer guys didnt understand the "V" peace gesture.They say cup holders define generations

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's just us! We understand. Same thing with motorcycles. Used to be a time when all motorcycle riders always waved when passing-maybe not Harley to Honda, but every other type. Nowadays that doesn't happen. No freindly wave from half of the other riders. It changed in the 80's. As said above, 95 percent don't get it. I bought mine from a 300TT owner so they are out there.

·
Registered
117 Posts

The difference in the enthusiasts is the difference in the cars. Yes - different generations! Most Z & early ZX owners actually know what is under the hood and how it works. To most late 300z owners this area is a mysterious black hole - a low level of understanding brought about by a high level of complexity and lack of interest. Most (not all) of the newer Z enthusiasts focus on fancy wheels/tires, huge exhaust tips, stereos and trim accessories - the older Z enthusiasts (not all) focus on real mechanical issues (cams, rear ends, carburetor/fuel injectors, etc.). The "new generation" enthusiasts already have lots of power on tap thanks to the factory engineers but unfortunately they loose so much of what being a car enthusiast is all about - the issues that dominate this forum on the zcar web site. Want a feel for the late model enthusiast? Shift gears and go to the late model forum. I'ts about being cool and it's not cool to acknowledge an "old" car that is obsolete in many late 300z owners minds - We (and someday they will) know better. So next time you're working on you Z and you go for a test drive give 'em a greasy finger peace sign.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Is this cathartic or what?
I have got a pretty clean 88 300ZX. The newer 300's don't blink. I think they don't even know they are driving a Z. It's nice to see I am not just imagining this.

Here's food for thought: Do you think the buyers of the future "New" 240Z will acknowledge any older cars????

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

I think it will be the same way if the new 240Z comes out but they'll acknowledge the old 240Z more then compared to the 300ZX people. Cause when people at my highschool that i've talked to their like oh that new Z looks cute, or something like that. I don't think well at least speaking for the prototype they plan to get the people with the older Z's to buy it, but teenagers and people who like its looks or something. Like when I first got introduced the Z's I really wanted a 300ZX 2nd generation, when I was looking for a car, but looking at the price tag this 18 year old didn't have that much money:( So then I was looking at the 1st generation ones, but it really didn't suck me in, then I found a cool 280ZX that I have grown to love and was told that the inline 6 engines were good. So i bought it. Personally I don't think I'll buy the new Z when it comes out, because you have to pass smog laws lol, and i'm sure once i'm done with my 240Z it will be a lot faster then those new ones. Oh yah if they put a skyline engine in the new 240Z i might buy it:) heheh
anyways sorry if I put u guys to sleep
Zya
yuichi
72 240Z
81 280ZX

·
Registered
78 Posts

i own both (a 71,76, and a 95tt), and i think the difference is that the new 300's ended up being priced high enough that they represented status symbols to some or even most of the people who could afford them. those people don't know anything about their cars, and don't really care. i have a cj7, and i notice the same thing with owners of new jeeps. i think it's just a result of the cars becoming so popular that most of the owners don't feel like they're part of an exclusive group, as the owners of early jeeps and early z's clearly do.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I honestly think that most of them don't have a clue about the heritage of the Z car. To them your car is just another car on the road.

Think about it, what do the 2 cars have in common? 6 cylinders, 2 doors and the last letter in the alphabet somewhere on the car. I can't think of much beyond that. Remember the ads for the 90+ 300ZX where it said they started with a clean piece of paper or something to that effect. Basically stating that it was a brand new design not based on anything in the past.

I think when a new "Z" comes out Nissan will try to tie it in with the 'old' Z more which would build more of a brotherhood between owners.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I think it is closer to what legal-z mentioned. These Zs cost alot of money. The people who buy them don't know what is under the hood or even care. When the car breaks they get the mechanic to come fix it. The don't get under the hood or get dirty and greasy trying to make it run. We do, we have to because it's hard to find a mechanic who knows what the parts are much less how to fix it. (I have run into this alot!!) So we appreciate what we have because we are all struggling to make them all that they can be. In my opinion we are much better people then they are. So let them be snobs, we don't need em.
Dodie

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I personally don't think that I'm any better than some of those people are, but I'll be damned if I'm not just as good. It's just that the posts are right, the newer Z's are status symbols, not cult classics. The older Z's represented a purity of days gone by, and alot (not all) of the new owners don't care about it. The new Z will revive some of this, even if it doesn't live up to our expectations, because of marketing. Mazda compared the Miata to the Porsche Speedster, even though they have little in common. But the Miata had more purity than anything in quite awhile, and the public bought it, so the Miata prospered. Purity in anything has been lacking lately. Don't expect it to return in full force just yet, but times they are a changin'.

·
Registered
94 Posts

hey guys speak for yourselfs,i have a 300z and i repect all the generations because the older z started it all..i love all z cars. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.