ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you tell when your u joints are going bad? So far I have replaced sway bar bushings, moustache bar bushings, I tightened the trans mount and still I hear something loose especially in low speed reverse. Any suggestions welcome.

Craig76Z

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: Bad U Joints???

Unfortunately, the rear end is a source of endless frustration in the Z car. The only way I know of finding out if the u-joints are bad is to dismount the half shafts and rotate them in all axis. Any bind would indicate a bad u-joint. Heck they are only $20.00 each from MSA so if I had the half shafts out I would just replace them and put new Nissan bolts in the half shafts and driveshaft, locktite as you go. Another source of knock from back there is the diff mount and the moustache bar bushings. R&R is the fix here. The gland nuts atop your struts can be loose as well. The fix here is to remove your strut covers and tighten them up. Marc Sayer designed a snubber that prevents rear end knock. It is sold through Classic Datsun Motorsports in the LA area. They have a web site. Its only $7.00! I plan on getting one soon and trying it out. Anyway, I feel your pain. That rear end knock makes a nice car sound like a P.O.S.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.