ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding my turbo-charged 1980zx engine. I took the head off and looked at the o-rings on the block to find that a couple of them have little grooves and dings in them. The turbo is putting out around 16 pounds of boost and has been on the car for years. I purchased the car from my brother and he ran it hard for a year and a half. The head gasket blew once when someone was test driving it and red-lined it. I have no intention of reving that high and was wondering if the o-rings will still work as they are supposed to. If I put a head gasket on,torque it down and then take it off again and find that a ring has been made for each gasket ring does that mean the o-rings are adequate? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: Are my block o-rings still good?

I'd replace the rings if there is any question. It's just wire, nothing magic. Did you have the block ringed or the head (doesn't really matter either way)? If you torque it down to check the ring pattern don't try to use the same gasket again.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: Re-do them.....

Probably have 18 gauge wire in it, and it is cheap insurance to go ahead and re-do them....

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
Cheap to Re-do them.....Right Slim?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
For the cost, replace them and you don't have trash the gasket to check if theyre "still good."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.