ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there by any performance benefit? Who makes an appropriate bolt-on replacement?

I've heard that hot aftermarket coils can actually hurt performance at high RPMs. Opinions? Have any of you done this upgrade to a NA ZX?

Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Any benefit to an aftermarket coil for my '82N

I have a 1982 280ZX 2+2, I replaced the stock coil with a Crane Cams Fireball PS20 Coil From Motorsport in Orange, CA. It works a LOT better, and yes I was able to feel a difference, starts easier, has better power when warm, and is MUCH smoother at high RPM's.

Scott.

·
Registered
996 Posts

Aftermarket coils on a otherwise stock ignition system will improve smoothness a little. This is manly due to the original coils age, they get weaker over the years. Don't get a super hot coil though they can actually cause damage to the stock ignition box at high loads or high rpm. There is much more resistance in the powerful coils. A good MSD, Crane, etc in the 40,000 volt range will work fine, just don't go overboard.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

I don't know where you got the info that after market coils peter out at high RPMs, but that is not true. Most aftermarket coils are intended for racing, high RPMs in other words. I have the Mallory Pro Master on mine (82 n/a) along with the UniLite dist. Although I do not recommend the Mallory as I'm not happy with the quality. I have had good experience with Accels Super Coil (the big ugly yellow one). These will put out 50 + thousand volts and you can't go wrong with a hot spark.

Ken

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: Cool! Advice on which model/where to get it? T

Jon,
I have an extra pair of high performance coils that I am not using. One is a Crane PS40 sold by Motorsports Auto at $52.95. I used this coil for about a year before going to an MSD6A and Blaster SS coil. It works fine but I got the Blaster SS as a package deal. The second is a Jacobs Energy Team coil that I got as part of a package from Marc Sayer with my recurved distributor. It has never been used. I would sell either one for $25.00 plus shipping. Again, I am moving in three weeks and trying to lighten my load.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.