ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 76z has stock ac but is missing the radiator in front of the main radiator ( to complete the system). I always see spare radiators at the junkyard on other cars. I was thinking pull one off and install it on my car. Is it worth my time and sweat to try to make my ac to work? my system probably has not been complete for over 10 years but all the hoses look fine but what do I need to look for to assess my ac condition? any suggestions would be great, thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: ac re hook up?</b>

10 years is a long time without having the a/c working. i would be worried about water and rust built up in the system. you can check the pulley bearing on the compressor to see if it's seized up, just spin the pulley by hand. also grab the clutch hub in front of the pulley and try to turn the compressor. it should feel tight but smooth. the other thing i would worry about is the expansion valve, but there's no way to check it without charging the system. you'll have to buy a brand new reciever/dryer as the old one will be saturated with water. install that and the new condensor and have the system charged. take the car to a shop and have them evacuate and vacuum the system. have them add some compressor oil as necessary. then they'll charge it and hope for the best.

-casper

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: ac re hook up?

Brave project.

I recently fixed the A/C in my car. It apparently hadn't worked for years. But my system wasn't open. My problem was the expansion valve. I can think of a way to test it. It has probably failed due to corossion.

remove the fittings to the evaporator at the firewall (0n the drivers side) blow through one of the tubes. If it's blocked you have a problem. (it normally will not let much through, but it must let a little through) Or you can wait until the A/C tech pumps down the system. He should be able to tell if the expansion valve is frozen and blocked. Use mineral oil on the fittings to lubricate them when you put it back together.

I would plan on replacing the expansion valve either way though with an open system.

You will have to replace the receiver/dryer. No question here.

When you get the condensor/radiator from the junk yard remove it with the hard lines going to the reciever/dryer and the compressor. Your old ones probably have corrosion.

OBTW> I got an estimate for a new R-134a system: $1200 installed!!! Ouch

expansion valve = $70 from Nissan dealer
receiver/dryer = $70 from Nissan dealer
condensor/radiator = ? from junk yard
2 lbs freon = $80 (You system should require <2lbs)
labor = ?
The unexpected = ?

good luck

I am not an A/C expert but I did replace my expansion valve and the system runs great. Cold air is great. The black dash/interior is my biggest heat enemy now.

Dave Ruth
'78 280Z
Florida

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.