ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting geared up to swap my turbo motor into my 78z and using a T3/T4 turbo with intercooler . My real question is about using the stock ECCS at high boost 15-19psi . I was wondering what are your impressions of using Bell FMU . Was it easy to tune, could you get car tuned or were you running to rich all the time . Boost I know you drove 240turbo's car was the TEC II noticably smoother and better running . Boost I am quite impressed to say the least at how far you are pushing stock motor and ECCS . What have you guys broken drag racing, and signs of wear on the engine .
I would expect broken parts which is usually associated with drag racing .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>Hey, What about ME! (Sniffle, Sniffle)</b>

I can't play with you guys anymore? Just one comment. My Tech was self tuned with a halmeter, not too good for tuning, but gives you an idea of what AFR you are running. My car has always run fat. Boost drove my car and we did some minor tuning with the laptop. One thing we changed was the fuel. He told me my car felt like it was running real FAT, so I moved the whole fuel curve down and it felt much better. As far as the bell FMU, the directions tell you how much psi to set the the fuel pressure at certain boost levels. I cut into my fuel line and T'd off a line up to a pressure gage and taped it to my window. I knew that I needed 65psi @ 15psi boost, so I would get in 2nd gear and gun it to 15psi of boost and then see what type of fuel pressure I was running. From there you just adjust the bleeder screw or top screw to vary the fuel pressure until it is dialed in. Remove the ugly gauge taped to your window and you are set. Of course Boost and Carlos would be able to tell you what actual fuel pressures they experience @ full boost.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>Thank you for info 240turbo</b>

I always enjoy your very informative commentary, I just want to know how well the ECCS with the FMU tuned in the 15-19psi range . Is it lean in some spots then rich at other levels. Does your A/F ratio vary with temp . Does the TEC II really make your car run that much better . Don't get me wrong I know the TEC II's capabilities and infinate tunablity and love toys like that, I just have trouble justify the bang for the buck of TEC II . I guess what I am trying to say is that I am fasinated by making a silk purse out of sow's ear . If I could make a 12sec turbo Z of of junkyard parts I would do it in a second . I love the underdog, which is why I am going turbo 6 instead of a 350.

·
Registered
51 Posts
RE: ? about BOOST's and CarlosZXT turbo car

I recently broke an engine! The engine I have, or should I say car I have is/was basically a *****. I will elaborate. I know 5 of the last owners in the last 5 years. Some of them never had a clue what detonation was, and I will admit I have detonated the stew out of the thing. Anyway I t finally took a toll on the old engine. It had 146,000 miles on it and the stress of being my car finally took its toll. 18psi one night coming home from work resulted in one of the loudest rod knocks I have ever heard. I spun a bearing. I think possibly that all the abuse this motor had endured, being a ***** for so long, ended its life. I didn't detonate the thing that night but for weeks on start up I heard what sounded like a rod knocking. Didn't want to believe it but it was obviously true. Don't worry I have complete faith in these motors. Bought another 100,000 mile motor. Checked all the bearings and the were SWEET! Put it in the car and it kicks much booty. My friend Steve has 240+,000 miles on his and the only thing it knows is racing. I have broken rearends, not like broken in pieces(JIM) but were they were making horrindus noises. Have broken one early style transmission. Got an 83 n/a tranny and no problems in a year. I put a hurting on 2 clutches as well. I think that is all I have broken besides my wallet on occasion. I though Jim's set up was sweet but much to complex for me and even though he did beat me (my car was down 5-7mph at the end of the track that weekend) he should have mopped the floor with me based on the dollar figure he spent. He didn't. I think there was more tuning to be done to his car to his defense though. I liked how adjustable his system was but since I don't have the money for extensive dyno time, and that is what it would take, I will just see how far I can push this factory Set up. Later

·
Registered
256 Posts
RE: ? about BOOST's and CarlosZXT turbo car

With the stock T3 and no additional fuel I was not able to go over 15 psi w/o detonation (because of the hot air), BUT because you are using the hybrid you should have no problems with intake temperatures. Before I installed the additional injectors I was running 45-50psi of fuel press. at idle and 1 psi per psi of boost (my FPR rate was not adjustable as the BEGI unit), but with the additional injectors I had to lower it to 40 psi.
SOmebody told me (I havent checked it) that I should remove the stock FPR because it is a restriction for the fuel system, it is also the cause of the pulses we feel at the rail.
I will not be able to check that out because I am stopping my car for a couple of weeks to see if I am able to come up with a little surprise for the fellas at the street and the strip. I am gonna try to build the JE forged pistons engine with ARP studs and bolts and get the T61 along with the BELL 27x10x3 intercooler and 2.5" piping.
(sorry, I went out of the subject here, :) )

I am sorry I wont be able to test the stock engine any further, but I have my reasons. I am almost sure the stock pistons can be brought to a high 12 BUT not the rearend nor the clutch.

I have street slicks and 2 weeks after I installed them, broke the satellite gears into pieces, I am gonna post something really soon (I hope) about this. After I installed the '87 LSD diff I've had no problems, although I've made only about 30-40 hard launches on it.

I am fearing for the axles, I am considering geting some and having them with me when I go to the drag strip.

well, Z-ya later

CarlosZXT

Clint(78z) wrote:
-------------------------------
I am getting geared up to swap my turbo motor into my 78z and using a T3/T4 turbo with intercooler . My real question is about using the stock ECCS at high boost 15-19psi . I was wondering what are your impressions of using Bell FMU . Was it easy to tune, could you get car tuned or were you running to rich all the time . Boost I know you drove 240turbo's car was the TEC II noticably smoother and better running . Boost I am quite impressed to say the least at how far you are pushing stock motor and ECCS . What have you guys broken drag racing, and signs of wear on the engine .
I would expect broken parts which is usually associated with drag racing .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.