ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some more Don Potter info. He told me that Nissan designed the distributers with a defect that reduced power. This defect was found after production and was not fixed nor was anyone told. He sells a reworked, fix in the design flaw, distributer for $450 that is guaranteed to add 15% more power to your motor with no other mod. I will post the number if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: 15% power gain from reworked distributer.

what does he do for $450???????? That a lot of buck to upgrade a distributor. For that much money you could invest in a crank pickup MSD setup.
Just wondering what it is that he does that is so magic? Seems like the money spent would go further on an aftermarket system. I could be wrong.
Later,
Tim Deesen

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You pay for the lack of knowledge, as many want the knowledge and the " know how" without paying. MSD systems don't tell you what magic they use, you pay. If they use the same stock distributor, but use there magic box to produce multiple sparks, then maybe the flaw is still present.

So 240Z turbo what is the design flaw? From that maybe we could figure out a solution ourselves. Preston

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

Pretty interested myself, seeing how I have $500 invested in Mallory Unilite and Pro Master coil. Did I get my bucks worth, or not?

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

If you are willing to make an investment like that then you must be serious about performance. Ironically, you will struggle to recurve the ignition and map fuel load, especially when you crank up the boost and not to mention, fiddling with the AFM or MAS. The $1200+ investment in the complete SDS system is looking better everyday.

·
Registered
482 Posts

I would hesitate to spend $450 to 'fix' my distributor. Mine seems to work just fine, and I can't fathom what in the world could be wrong to allow for a 15% increase by fixing some 'flaw'. The only thing I can think that Don Potter is doing, is something in regards to the distributor curve. As far as what the secret setting is, I don't know. I have a hard time believing that a modification like this can yield such drastic power increases. If this is true, why doesn't D.P. advertise this 'distributor fix' more aggressively? If it cost $100, AND really worked (dyno sheets/testimony to prove it), he might have something. I'd buy it at that point for sure.

As far as bearings and other items, no one has ever had any major problems with these, and most likely, these aren't responsible for the 15% power loss.

240Z Turbo, please elaborate on this, so we might be able to find the 'flaw' or justify D.P. price/claims.

Dave

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>240Dave, calm down</b>

I am not his mediator, I only passed along information to anyone interested. Like I said, I can give you the number and you can talk to him yourself.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Is this mod for single point units, dual point units, electronic units, etc. In early units you could possibly change the vacuum advance, weights, springs, and maybe even the drive shaft cam profile... I have a hard time believing that any fix to a standard distributor is worth 15% unless you have a distributor that isn't working right to begin with! And the same fix won't necessarily benefit every motor, it depends on size, head/block combo, cam, carbs, ignition system. I'd put my money elesewhere

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: 240Dave, calm down

Working with Don Potter is like joining a Karate school. Once you are a member he will talk your ear off with his secrets. I once lied and told him there was someone at the door cause I had to pee so bad! Don has been around since the very beginning of the Z in racing and had a hand in many of the parts you see in the Nissan Motorsports Catalog. They say the HP is in the details and no one sweats the details like Don. Personally, I have a Sayer distributor in my car and I don't know about a flaw but I do know that Don thought he could do better and still wants the chance and my Sayer distributor made a noticeable difference. Sayer and Potter are friends too. I think that the beauty in Don's work lies in the fact that one of his street motors with 200K on it still makes more HP than stock. This is a regular occurance I have seen.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<b>RE:OK, here's some secrets!</b>

First, the factory vacuum advance(or actually retard) is much too gentle on the engine. If you were to alter the actual amount of distrib pull back when under part or light throttle(by screwing in the set stop under the epoxy), you would gain good part throttle response. In order to increase full throttle response you would have to downsize the advance weight stops in the upper half of the shaft. Try this, take the dist. apart and either weld a bead, and then grind down until you find that point where you don't experience detonation any more. Or you can play with the advance weight springs(wich require many different tensions(as a pro race shop would do). I know D.P. does the welding and the vac advance mods, but he'll probably do the springs also if your engine is a weird combo(E88 on 280 block). His ork is fantastic, but expensive. My recommendation, buy 2 or three spares from a yard and go play!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.