ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a friend who owns an Impreza WRX, and one just bought a Lancer, and they totally demolish me in terms of acceleration in corners. Hence the AWD.

As a project, I was wondering if it was AT ALL possible for me to turn a 280ZX into an AWD car.

I understand what's involved here. The creation or Adaption of a transfer case/transmission, driveshaft, and a front differential. Plus gearing.

I don't actually want to do it to my car, but if it was easy and cheap (which it wouldn't be) I'd do it.

I just want to speculate on how much it would cost, plus what would be involved.

· Registered
241 Posts
I would'nt even think about it with the stock drivetrain. I would keep the rear end. Mabee, but as for the rest, you'd have to tug that engine and tranny out of your buddy's car when he's not looking. There's just no room for a t-case or front driveshaft, and the block sits right where you'd need the diff. I'd say that it would be the easiest to put in a transaxle toyota v6 on a corrola awd tranny. I'd really hate to see a transaxle z though. People do it to MG's. Mabee if you use a longitudinal v6 and had it tucked back right to the firewall, then have a custom oil pan to get the drive past above the X member, under the motormount. Have the diff offset a bit infront of everything. Then you'd have to rig some front wheel drive hubs and suspension, and have some shafts made. Not to mention you could'nt use a truck t-case, unless it was out of a full time system, because the truck units are no good on dry pavement. I cringe at all the wasted cash. For the dough you'd drop for that, you'd have one wicked Z.

Dylan

· Registered
40 Posts
Me being a huge fan of Nissan for there awsome looks, and AWD cars for there limit-less handling and traction capabilities. i have thought of the posibilities of making an 240z AWD......

The key term here is "SKYLINE" now i know for a fact that a complete skyline AWD setup can be made to work with a Early Z-body not to sure about a Zx but since there pretty close theres probably away. but the hardest part is getting the skyline parts. but if you know a good importer or have the money it can be done, cheap and easy is another question.

alot of things come to mind when i dream of the thought of a effort less 4-wheel slide in the most horrible of rain but a Z doin it oh my i cant even imagine boy that would be fun.......

later.....

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Wilbur Wrigh invented his brother and made him fly

Anything is possible but given that most of the AWD's I have worked on are actually FWD with a PTO or transfer shaft driving the rear wheels, do you want a transverse mounted engine? You would have to completely redesign the whole front end of the car. Or you could put a Subaru AWD in which is the only one I can think of where the engine layout is "conventional" you would still have to redesign your front end though because the Subaru engine is horizontally opposed and would be too wide to fit between the frame rails. Then there's the obviouse question of why anyone would want a Subaru powered Zed? Or you could get an old Pathfinder and lose the body and drop the Zed down on the chassis, but then it wouldn't be AWD it would be a 4x4 and handle like crapp! Either way after you've written all the cheques I think you'de find it would have been cheaper to buy an AWD car and stick some goodies on it!

· Registered
359 Posts
Re: Wilbur Wrigh invented his brother and made him

With all the money, plus the extra weight of an AWD drivetrain, I cant see how it could be viable. But I admit it would be very cool :)

· Registered
131 Posts
Re: Wilbur Wrigh invented his brother and made him

hey guys ive considered the idea a number of times. i would start with a early 80's maxima, with the front wheel drive setup with the inline-6 motor. then go from there. think about. the money issue is another thing that stops me. would have to pay to have the frabrication wokr done. big bucks. you know!!!! well its a great idea anyway. see ya and keep dreaming. leo v 80zx

· Registered
172 Posts
Did everyone forget the fore father of AWD`

Audi has a conventionly mounted motor with a very compact Diff/Tranny case. why would you want to put an audi tranny in your Z? i dont know. also your buddies lancer isnt AWD unless he imported it from japan or australia. I would just buy an AWD car and biuld it up rather than trying to make a Z AWD.my $0.02 worth

~Kenny

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Audi toilet seat!!!!!!

The audi diff is a ticking time bomb and so is the .010 Automatic which is the same tranny as the "Rabbit Golf Jedda" abortion just in a different case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.