ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove the part known only to me as a Auxiliary Cooling Fan. For those who know it by a different name, this part has a black plastic 'Y' looking thing that goes right over the valve cover of my 80 280zx. I want to get rid of it. It looks stupid and its in the way. Mine doesn't work, so I was wondering what this thing is supposed to do, and hopefully someone else out there has removed theirs and can tell me wether I might have any problems. Thanks in advance ;)

jA

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> I want to remove the part known only to me
> as a Auxiliary Cooling Fan. For
> those who know it by a different name, this
> part has a black plastic 'Y' looking thing
> that goes right over the valve cover of my
> 80 280zx. I want to get rid of it. It looks
> stupid and its in the way. Mine doesn't
> work, so I was wondering what this thing is
> supposed to do, and hopefully someone else
> out there has removed theirs and can tell me
> wether I might have any problems. Thanks in
> advance ;)

> jA

This device pulls the cooler air from the other side of the engine onto the top of the intake manifold. It's mostly helpful for when you're stuck in traffic to keep the tempurature down on the intake manifold. Cooler air is denser and you can fit more into the combustion chamber. Probably extends the life of the injectors and hoses on that side too. If you're in a cool climate already it won't make any difference, but Phoenix or Atlanta in the summertime could benefit from the little fan.

Steve G

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The fan is used to help prevent vapor lock. It cools the injector. From everyone I have asked, the z is not prone to vapor lock so the removal of the fan should have no adverse effects. For those wondering about vapor lock, that is when the fuel boils in the fuel line or injectors. I never ran one on my turbo motor and had no problem. If you like, you can wrap your fuel rail in heat protective insulation.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my 83 turbo removing that fan was one
of the first things I did. It gets in the
mid to upper 90's here in the summer and I have
not had any problems with it not being there.

·
Registered
382 Posts
> The fan is used to help prevent vapor lock.
> It cools the injector. From everyone I have
> asked, the z is not prone to vapor lock so
> the removal of the fan should have no
> adverse effects. For those wondering about
> vapor lock, that is when the fuel boils in
> the fuel line or injectors. I never ran one
> on my turbo motor and had no problem. If you
> like, you can wrap your fuel rail in heat
> protective insulation.

As usual, I agree with Jim - the fan is definitely there to help prevent vapor lock. However, I disagree with the part about the Z not being prone to vapor lock. Mine (a 78Z) was definitely prone to vapor lock (back when it still had the stock FI), mostly when using methanol/ethanol blends, which are often the only high octane alternative in the midwest (sometimes the only alternative, period, if you live in a small Iowa town, like I did). These fuels inherently have a lower boiling point. Believe me, Nissan would never have spent the money on the fan if they had not had significant warranty problems...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I thought my aux cooling fan did not work until I lost radiator coolant and the engine temp rose
to over 220 degees F.When I shut the motor off it kicked in and I wondered how it worked . I looked under the hood and noticed the coolant leak . It helped keep the fuel in the injectors and hoses cool enough to get me to a service station......Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.