ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this in-dash speedometer from Summit (ATM-5893) .. I don't like the big 5" one ...when removed found out that I can't just connect the old speedometer cable to the new gauge ...
the new gauge is a screw on type and the Datsun looks like a headlight socket ... is it ok to brake this piece and secure the cable w/ some kind of silicone or something ???
also .. in order to make place for the new gauges te old cluster don't work no more and being a whole unit, none of the dash instruments don't work ...I would like to get the turn signals back (really don't care for anything else as I have more gauges install to monitor everything else)
there are two main wire plugs that connect to the old cluster that control all this including the turn signals ... my question is: which wire controls the turn signals ???

anybody has ideas on how to get my signals back

the car is a '83 zxt ... please help as my hole dash is on the floor going no where ...

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
i dunno, sounds like a biotch, esp in a zx. i wouldn't rig the speedo cable...i'm pretty sure they make adapters.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I installed the Autometer Speedo in my 73. I forgot about the turn signal & high beam indicators . I finally ran the turn signal & high beam wires under the steering wheel top cover then bought 3 small LED's from radio shack. I wired the turn signals to 2 green LED's mounted on the top of the steering column cover, one to the left the other to the right. The high beam indicator is a blue LED in the center.
Someone also mentioned you can drill out the Autometer Guage, but I like the LEDs. It was easy to install.
Unfortunately not sure about the wiring to the signals in the 83.
I think Autometer does offer adapters for the speedo cable. Go to thier website and check. I think it's Autometer.com.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you break the big circuit board in the back of the gauge you should have to worry about the signal lights. But if you break the circuit board to make room for the new speedometer than just solder wires back to make the circuit complete. Connecting the cable you can call up summit to ask for some kind of adaptor kit I am sure they have it. The hard part now is how to calibrate the speedometer to match with the stock one and display the correct speeds.
V

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.