ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my 83zxt parts car and I noticed my oil cooler lines were damaged. Wanna know if I could some how bypass it or even take the whole thing off and have the oil filter go on like a regular L-motor.

I might be getting a 280Z with a bad motor and I'm trying to see if I can get this turbo motor running for as cheaply as possible. The wiring harness in the turb car dosent look to healthy plus its missing a few things, so I'm gooing to use the system from the NA and use the bigger turbo AFM and injectors. Will the turbo distibuter work with NA FI or will I have to swap it out?

Another thing why does the power steering pump braket double as a block off plate? I guess that wholeit covers is for a mechanical fuel pump right?

JT

· Registered
1,989 Posts
yes, you can take the whole oil cooler ass. off your car and then just be able to screw a filter on like the cars with manual transmissions....but, you car's oil will get real hot because the auto cars didn't have an overdrive which means that they cruise at a much higher RPM than a manual transmission does on the highway. So its up to you, but I wouldn't remove it if I were you. If you do remove it, let me know and I might be interested in buying it if its only the lines from the block to the cooler that are damaged.

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to take it off so I didnt have a massive oil leak when I'm trying to get it running. That and I was thinking of going with a 5speed conversion. If I decide to sell I will let you know. Thanks for the info!

JT

· Registered
360 Posts
If you take the cooler assembly off the block, you'll need a threaded insert to go into the block. (it's the thing that a filter screws onto) Blocks with the cooler assembly don't have that insert. (at least on the Turbo automatic I took apart)
SB

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Cheap solution and retain the cooler!

Go to an industrial hose place (Check in the yellow pages for something like "the Hose Man " or "Hose Pros") They can make any hose you need cheap! They can even REUSE your ends, chargineg only for the cost of the hose and crimp sleeve! I replaced my factory cooler with one from an RX7! Same size fittings, much bigger cooler.
You CAN have it all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.