ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip to the local Auto Zone in order to purchase some power steering fluid for my 88 2+2 na. I researched the fluid requirment in my Chilton's manual and my owner's manual. It called for Dexron automatic transmission fluid. I thought it strange but, when I recalled doing this in the past on my other Zs, it jogged my memory to the point that, yes, you do use the tranny fluid in the power steering reservoir. (It's not like you have to add this stuff every other month or so and at my age, a memory is a terrible thing to waste LOL).
I went in to the local AZ store and "finally" got waited on. This young girl with a zit on her forehead the size of an Idaho potato says.."What ya need" and gives me a look like she really didn't want to be there. I asked her to point out the tranny fluid location as I needed some for my power steering. She looks at me and said "You can't use that stuff in your power steering". I explained to her that it was for an older Z and that's what it called foraccording to the referrence material I had.
I got the item I wanted and walked to the checkout. Who was at the register......yup......good ol' potato head. She looks at me and says" If you use this stuff in your power steering reservoir, you're out of your frigging head mister". Being the opportunistic individual I am, I asked her if there was anyone in the store that knew anything about automobiles. She then told me that "If you buy this and put it in your power steering unit, AZ would not be liable". I asked her to look it up on her store computer and she just may learn something for the benefit of the next customer that may have the same requirment some day. She informed me that she didn't have the time. I was just about to hand over the cash for the purchase when she put the icing on the cake by saying..."I don't think you know what you're doing". I then pulled the cash back and told her I DID know what I was doing. I asked her if she already had the sale rung up and she said "yes". I then told her what I was "doing" was leaving and she would be ringing up a void on the sale. After this incident, my shopping days at AZ have come to a screeching halt.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You atre right and the potato zit is wrong. Yes, you do use ATF in the power steering reservior because ATF has the chemical components that will not ruin the o-ring on your system. Did you ask potatoe zit what she uses in her ps system? Also, some companies sell a specially packaged "Power Steering oil", guess what it is? A different colored ATF. Some European cars (Mercedes, Jaguar) use a clear hydraulic oil that has no color and is basically a clear mineral oil.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
you got a bad clerk, i know from experience that if you call the DISTRICT manager, you will not only get an apology but the product you were purchasing for free. i know what you mean though, it only takes one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
power steering fluid works fine. I have never seen a car have problems due to inappropriate fluid.

people who think its a big deal are just spreading rumors they have heard.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Every time I go to auto zone (the only reason I ever go is for mobile 1 and sylicon gasget maker) I have to wait FOREVER for someone to help me. Even if there is no one else there besides me I still have to wait forever. I have gotten wrong **** for my car also.

I wanted to do a tune up on my girl friends car. SO i asked for an air filter and oil filter number. I got home and both of them were the wrong filter. people that work at auto zone suck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i feel yalls pain... i replaced the altenator on my 86z, "best" 2 hours i have ever spent... then to top it off, the very next day (yes the next day), the "new" altenator i got from AZ died. so i got to spend the night replacing my altenator AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have actually used them quite a bit and have not experienced your problems. It might help that when I drive into there parking lot mosts times I was driving a '67 Camaro with 454 and a roll cage that screams
"Look at me!"

But really, a lot of times I take the Sable for pick up parts for my various projects and the guys / gals at the stores that I have gone to are really helpful and haven't made mistake. Free loaner tools too!

Oh, and they have cheap rotors that don't warp like OEM junk. lol

Kragen's has been my downer ..... sometimes when certain people are working, I wait 10 mins or more at the checkstand for someone to show up to take my money. Dagnabit.....rrrr I just want to get my parts and get back under the car and finish what I was doing.

;)

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
just like any other parts place, it all depends on the people working at that location, thats where I buy my parts and the guys at the store next to me are supre nice and know their stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like the loner tools from AZ, but i stoped going there for parts when i bought a melling hig volume oil pump for a small block chevy and they game me an oil covered used one. coulda been an honest mistake but i generally go to advance auto parts cause they are cheaper and i get a 10% discount cause im a student at the local tech college.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.