Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

(I've already searched and could not find a problem exactly like mine)

Last summer after a 3-hour long drive in the 90+ degree heat, my automatic transmission would not shift past 2nd gear. It only started happening after I slowed down for the first time after going 80mph for a couple of hours. I pulled into the nearest gas station, let it sit for about 10 minutes, started it back up, but it still had the same problem. After I made it to my destination, I let it sit for about 6 hours before testing it out again. It was fine. On the return trip it was fine too.

I haven't had the problem since then. I want to eventually get the problem checked out to make sure it doesn't happen again. Can anyone diagnose this problem?

Some information that could possibly help: My car has a flaky speedometer/odometer that I have read tons about on various forums, and I know it's either the speed sensor or the speedometer connections behind the guages. Also, I used cruise control on the trip in which the transmission messed up.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sounds like the transmission just overheated. Very common. Could be temporary blockage of fluid. The cheapest thing you can do that should be done with autotrans periodically is a flush and filter change. 10 minutes is not long enough to dissipate the heat. It may never happen again or might only show up when the temps heat up again.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Agreed with above, also I had added an additional tranny fluid cooler on mine when I was auto. I don't think the rad is enough in extreem heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.