ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lot of smart people here, so maybe one of you can help me figure this out.

What is the troubleshooting procedure to determine why it is difficult if not nearly impossible to get a car to go from Park to Drive or Reverse without excessive force?

This has been happening on two 2001 vehicles. You gotta step on the brake on both of them, so I'm wondering if there is a button or switch that is out of alignment. Both cars run fine otherwise.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Smart people aren't mind readers.

Your missing a fair amount of important data here.

Make, Model, how many miles, engine, etc, etc, etc.

Are you parked on a hill? Flat? E-Brake?

Don't expect people to help if you don't give them the tools to do the job.

Post Edited (Aug 21, 10:56am)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
On alomst all newer vehicles, you must step on the brake to get them out of park. It is printed on the dash or near the shifter. If the car is parked on a hill or incline they will be hard to get out of park as well. Park is an actual gear that locks the output shaft from turning. If the shaft is pushing on the parking pawl, then it will be hard to get out of park. The shaft tries to turn when you are parked on a hill.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, jmanz6. I'll try to get some more details from the owners and take it from there.

Post Edited (Aug 21, 11:47am)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
it's not a question of friendly or not.

its a matter of needing information to be able to answer your questions. Like jmanz said it could be as simple as where they are parking their cars, or their lack of knowledge as to the safety features built into the newer cars.

How people can expect to get answers without giving the full information needed is beyond me.

Go to your doctor and tell him you have a problem with your bowel movements, but don't tell him anything else. Then see what happens.

It's alot easier to tell him what problem with your bowel movements you are having rather than having him shove 50 different things up your azz to figure it out on his own.

Post Edited (Aug 21, 11:52am)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Not using the parking brake on a hill with either transmission is asking for trouble. You can't rely on a parking pal to hold back a 3k+ lb car on hills all the time. I have gotten into the habit of always using the e brake in all my cars.

You only hear the horror stories about the brake locking up when they never use it to keep the corossion at bay.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Never rely on the P position or hand brake on a hill. I can go out a never see a car with the wheels set against the curb on a hill. Very bad. I've known horror stories about someone taking kids out, the kids jump into the car, knock the P lever out of P and the car starts rolling into a bldg. or another car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.