ZCar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 1971 that I've had for just a few months. Even after rebuilding the carbs, I've had problems with a rough idle, hard shifting, and smoke in the exhaust, which I realized were probably all due to a bad modulator valve and/or vacuum problem with it. I found transmission fluid in the hose connector to the modulator, which was pretty stiffened up, so I think that's confirmed.
But when I was down there, I found that the kickdown solenoid wires had been cut. I have the solenoid out of the car, and it seems to work fine. I also checked the switch at the pedal, and it seems to be fine, too, so I'm wondering why the wires would have been cut. (I'm also wondering why someone wouldn't just disconnect the switch if there was a problem.) Any thoughts? It doesn't seem like the symptoms of the bad modulator would have been attributed to the solenoid. I suppose it's possible that someone wanted to get access to the modulator and cut the wires to the solenoid to remove it to get access to the modulator, but that seems like a pretty crude approach.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts