ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i am thinking of switching the three speed in my 76 280 over to a manual 5 speed. has anyone done this?
besides the tran, and clutch stuff do i need anything else.
specifically, will i need to change the driveshaft. also are the zx 5 apeeds the only things that fir, or do the 300 tranys fit as well.

realistically how much of a pain in the ass would this be, and are the performance benifits worth it. also what ios the best five speed for the car., and would i have to change the radiator because mine has a transmission cooler kline i believe.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You will need the clutch master and slave cylinders, the hard line between them, pedals and bracket, bushing for the end of the crank, inner and outer shift boot, engine flex/backing plate and likely a transmission mount. It is not a hard job and your old driveshaft should work. All 5 speeds from late '70s to 83 should work fine. You don't need to change the radiator just cap off the cooler lines.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Easy upgrade - & Try 'Search'</b>

Hi Mike,
You can do alot of research by clicking Search the Forum, before posting you message. I searched on 'auto 5-speed' and found about 30 hits. You can learn alot more by reading all those responses, rather than just the few you will get when you post your question.

That is how I learned which tranny/gear combo's are the best for my car

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.