ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 've got a 280 z auto matic and I want to replace the auto box with a 5 speed, it looks easy so I must be missing some thing are there any traps to watch out for and do I need to take out the engine to make the change
Thanks
Howard

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
> I 've got a 280 z auto matic and I want to
> replace the auto box with a 5 speed, it
> looks easy so I must be missing some thing
> are there any traps to watch out for and do
> I need to take out the engine to make the
> change
> Thanks
> Howard

GOOD NEWS ITS A VERY SIMPLE PROCEEDURE.
o.k. i hope i can explain it easy enough.
get someone to help! jack up the car.disconnect the driveshaft at the rear and slide the spline out af the tranny.disconnect the speedo and reverse wires.unbolt the bell housing,this is where it get tricky if you don't have the right tools,have your strong wrap a rope around the bell housing and lower it down as you guide it to the ground...don't get under the tranny ther heavy and ackward when you laying on your back under a car..remove the tourqe convertor.
install the flywheel,then the clutch,pressuree plate and throwout lever.take a long extension and align the clutch the closest you can ( its sometimes worth spending the ten bucks for an alignment tool)have your buddy lift up the new bell housing on a rope as you guide it into position,bolt it into place,install your drive shaft,slave cyclinder and run the lines up your firewall.
inside the car get some rubber gloves put on at least two on the hand you use remove bolt for brake pedal and disconnect it,instal your cluth pedal first,the bracket is already there,without glove you'll cut up your hands it is very tight up there,connect pedal to slave cylinder resivour.
install new brake pedal.bleed slave cylinder(just like doing brakes,very easy if you have a mighty vac) connect speedo and reverse wires and go.

see pretty simple

·
Registered
10 Posts
> change
> Thanks
> Howard
To make a long story short, let me quote from Mr.Goodtech in Zcar mag.For general use and to make your search easier, i would say to get the 1981 and up 280zx box (non-turbo only) and run it with a 4.11 diff. There is a 2 page discription on gear ratios and diffrent transmissions, but in the end, this is what he recomends. He doesn't say anything about the engine side, as you have to prepare the spline out of the engine for the flywheel and make sure you get the flywheel cover and starter, which brings me to my point. Since he recomends getting a 1981 and up tranny(non-turbo only), I recomend getting the engine along with it. You get a better flowing head and you don't have to bother with trying to prepare your engine.
All the heads are interchangable to a point(you should make sure you can switch your intake and exhaust before hand), so all you would have to do is switch over your fuel injection, (though keeping everything from the 280zx engine would be better performance wise). Best would be switching to 71-72 su's, but dang those smog laws.
I have probably given more questions than answered, but if you are doing this for performance i would definatly check into getting all you can from that 280zx, including new headers. Thank you for reading, Yoshi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
howard,
it is a fairly easy swap, i just did it last month it took me about 15 hours total by myself to do everything. a big hydraulic jack is a must. email me and i will hopefully answer all your questions.

jon

·
Registered
863 Posts
> GOOD NEWS ITS A VERY SIMPLE PROCEEDURE.
>
> install the flywheel,then the
> clutch,pressuree plate and throwout
> lever.take a long extension and align the
> clutch the closest you can ( its sometimes
> worth spending the ten bucks for an
> alignment tool)have your buddy lift up the
> new bell housing on a rope as you guide it
> into position,bolt it into place
> see pretty simple

Just a few more items. Make sure that there is a pilot bushing in the crank before you install the manual. Also, you will have to plug the trans cooler ports on your radiator and remove the lines. It's been a while since I did my swap, but I think I remember trimming the hole in the floor a bit. I think the shifter either hit the sheet metal, or was very close in one of the gears. I did mine in a weekend. I didn't pull the engine. The car was transformed. I loved the car after the swap.

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
248 Posts
> change
> Thanks
> Howard
I know a guy in the St Clair Shores area of Mi who has a 5speed box if you need one and other parts for sale. You might want to give him a jingle. Check out Ron at:
[email protected]
or at [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.