ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased a 1980 280zx. the fan doesn't blow anything but when the temperature slide is pushed to heat i can hear a buzzing (heater core maybe?). i am using this car as a daily driver now and the fog on the interior glass is not only annoying it is dangerous. the leaking t-tops don't help the moisture problem in the least. need some input on how to economically remedy the situation. this is my first z and i do not know very much about the car, so i do not know what to check. garaging the car is not an option this season so any input would be greatly appreciated. i have fallen in love with this car and plan on bringing it back to its original glory, but one step at a time.help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
255 Posts
The auto climate control is notorious for these kind of problems. It is a complicated system that is not well documented in the factory service manual. Two options:

1. If you are both mechanically and electrically inclined, get a copy of the auto climate control system of the factory service manual and work through the details of what you can glean from it.

2. As many people have done, switch out the auto climate control system for a manual one.

Having gone through Option 1, fixing the problem and living with the results, I'm going to go for Option 2. My shallow research has me vectored toward calling Z Barn in Tennessee and ordering everything required to do the switch to manual. I'm told they know every piece you need to do the job and just ship it all to you. Having dealt with Roger (Z Barn owner) in the past, I believe the claim.

Be advised that there is an electrical "check" connector under the dash that can give you a pretty good indication where the problem is (see Option 1). Unless you are extremely lucky, count on pulling the dash to correct problems discovered under Option 1 and definitely if you choose Option 2.

Good luck. This is one of the tougher systems I've dealt with in 30 years of servicing cars.

Tom D.

· Registered
339 Posts
Looks strangely familiar.. :)

I'm suffering the same problem in my 82ZXT. Referenced here and here. If ya get ahold of that illusive auto temp section, and you're feeling generous.. could ya pass it my way too? I'd like to be able to at least have heat for my trip to Ohio in about 2 weeks. :)

Thanks!
-il82
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.