ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an automatic in my '81 280zxt. it is starting to shift hard from 1st to 2nd but fine from 2nd to 3rd. i was thinking it my be the tranny modulator but i'm not so sure. it is the original with 90,000 miles on it now. this sumer i am going to Alabama and i was thinking of taking my car. my grandfather has a tranny shop there and does great work. i figured i could have him show me the ropes and kinda help me rebuild it. how much do you think it would cost for parts with no labor? also, i've heard of higher rpm stall converters that help the zxt jump off the line a little better. is this true? what should i do to it to make it quicker off the line? i am fine with the 3 speeds but i thought i might also look for a maxiam with overdrive. iheard these are the same except for the overdrive. will it still have the same power? what could i do to it to make it fast? oh yeah, does it bold rigth in place and if not what needs modifing? any help with this is awesome. thank you

bama

· Registered
968 Posts
bama,
The 82-84 maxima trans is the same as yours except that it has overdrive. The trans you have is pretty tough. I have owned several 280ZXT with auto trans and non had problem with the trans. I also race one of them and didn't any problem with it. I am in the process of installing a maxima trans into my 280ZXT and test it out. The maxima trans will bolt onto your ZXT but you will need to customize the trans. mount and you have to cut away your stock trans. mount. I drilled and remove my stock trans. mount so incase you want to go back with your stock trans. you can put the stock mount back on easily. The max. trans used the same turbo half shaft. THe max trans will be approximately 1 inch longer than your stock trans. so you will have to shorten your driveshaft. Anyway I am in the process of doing this so if you have any question let me know.. good luck
Vinh

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.