ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im buying new speakers and may (not sure yet) buy an amp an woofer in a few months (though i have a decent cd player amp thing)

I was wondering if any of you have interesting layouts for your speakers or amp(s). Like for the rear speakers if you left off the cover and dressed up the area around the speakers.

Also, any good brand speakers i should get? What should i look for when shopping for speakers?

Edit: Also, if i get good speakers than i am only limited to my cd-amp right? The amp or speakers wouldnt really suffer? I think i may get bigger wires to my speakers as well.

Post Edited (Oct 6, 3:31pm)

·
Registered
353 Posts
infinity kappa , expensive but some of the best, they come with their own covers , you can put the covers they come with and put something under to cover the metal , dont buy cheap speakers , as if you like music crisp and loud you will later regret it, you need 6.5 for the rear and the front i believe , for full sound you will atleast need one ten inch sub i trhink somebody made a box , for the corner cargo box removal ,if you only get the speakers right now dont blast them because you can blow them , what i normally do is i throw all the highs and mid towards the speakers (the higher the number of the frequency the more high pitched the noise will be) and eliminate the lows so they can play loud without distorting and just play the bass(lows) with the sub(obviously) and that way you will have clean sound , if you have a good head unit (reciever) you can control all of this that iam suggesting thru filters built intothe head unit , i preferthe sony head unit because they are generally cheap, and have all of the adjustment needs i prefer, the ones with the seven band equalizer arethe ones i like ,it might be complicated if you dont know anything about sounds , but a correct setup should be clear,crisp,warm sounding , not too boomy or any of the frequenzies overpowering others , it sort of like a balancing act , for subs and amplifiers i prefer the rockford fosgates they are very high quility , alpine and jl audio are alsohigh quality , other brands of speakers that are high quality is mb quart but very expensive , infinity kappa are best value in my eyes.

god luck and let me know if you need any help setting up the head unit if needed, note= other brands , alpine and the high ends of other brands are good but expensive you can go with any brand you want this is just a suggestion i am not saying they are the best, but itsd what i had best results with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I replaced my stereo with a upper to mid quality sony cd player a few months ago. I also ran 16 guage wires to the front and rear speakers as someone prior to me had destroyed the stereo system. I replaced what was left of the front speakers with some sony xplodes I had laying around as well as put bazookas in the rear. I also added two 12 in sony subs and a 800 watt class d amp to push them.....needless to say, it is loud and sounds very good no matter what I listen too....

In my first Z I replaced the stereo and added a 8inch bazooka tube which sounded better than I expected due to the cabin gain.....

There really is a lot you can do to the stereo system....it's a matter of what your preference is.....just as what brand of this and that you buy are.....

Yes....6.5 inch for front and rear

Post Edited (Oct 6, 4:01pm)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
What I did for my basic stereo setup was to make a parcel shelf at the back behind the rear sears (I got a 2+2) and use the boot cover material as the upholstry for it. It looks really pro; I have got 6 speakers in my Z; and 2x12" subwoofers and one killer amp are on their way soon also :) I'll simply throw them into a subwoofer enclosure box and put it in the boot. If you want to go really crazy then you could get a custom trunk layout made.

As for the audio specs; it's best to find out the maximum output of your speakers vs the amp and go from there. You're better off talking to some audio expert at a professional car audio store to find that out before u buy anything. Simply saying get a "good" reciever or dont buy "cheap" speakers is no help, you need to find out the exact specifications and limitations to see if the amp u get will be powerfull enough to run the subs etc etc.

·
Registered
353 Posts
no no no , never go with the "max" rating of anything , ifyou read carefully , most of the time under max there is the RMS rating (rootmeansquare?) but that is what to go with , most amps will never hit theyre max rating , since you are going to be running stock sized speakers , the head unit can atleast push the front speakers (if not all four) small speakers dont need alot of power and all brands of a certain size a virtually around the same power draw (about 40-60 max! for 6.5's),but never the subs , the quality of the wire is also very important , for speakers you dont need more than 14-16 gauge , for subs , atleast 12-8 gauge and for the amp power you will need like a 10 or maybe a 4 if you are running seerious power (monster cable is very good but pretty exdpensive), too much draw from a high amp system will weaken the electrical syystem , a cap is nessecary , and or high output alternator , i used to be into all the boom boom sound before i got the z i was running two fosgate 12''s and one orion 10 inch in a spec box , i had 900 watts rms just for subs(about 1200 max but nobody cares about max),i had three amps and two batteries ( not in a z tho never!) and i spent alot of time researching and buying different brand subs until i ended up with that setup , i did it all for really cheap, finding speaker wherever ii could get them cheaper , now i have too many extra ten inch subs sitting around the house , for new quality equipment i find brandsmart to be cheapest in fl, i dont know if its a national companylike best buy , but at brandsmart they have a margin that they have to sell at so most of the time i hustled them down to give me cheaper than retail , another thing about the sub enclosure , since this going in a hatchback i would recomend a sealed , because itll give you tighter bass than a ported or bandpass and a sealed will be loud enough and a lot clearer sounding than the other two, good luck . dont cheap out , if you cant buy all you need at once , then buy it separatly just dont buy crap , bazooka tubes are very nice but other bazooka eqipment sucks ,panasonic crap , jvc crap ,jbl high end good, pioneer high end good too

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help so far, I think with other work for my Z im just going to buy the speakers as of now because my head unit/amp is pretty good (ill look into it after this post) As i learned from my home stereo (4 speakers) that the quality wire makes a world of difference so i am going to get new wires (stock ones are tiny!!)

So when I go into a local audio store what should I really look at with the 6.5" speakers? Like what "ratings" as far as power or ohms or frequency range or what? I think ill be driving with cd-amp until at the earliest christmas or febuary, and when i upgrade it would just be to a decent amp and woofer.

How do speakers "break?" Would i be looking at poor performance with just my cd-amp? Please cover some bases about how i can damage these new speakers i may buy by playing them without a better amp at a high level (i thought if the amp cant aven put it out than the speakers would be fine...like a speaker can handle 60 watts and the cd-amp only pushes say 20 to it, whats the danger? im ignorant at this. )

Thanks for all the help, also do you guys have links to these speakers you all are mentioning?

EDIT: I have an audiovox rampage acd-70 160 watt max. How can you dettermine the average output though? Like max doesnt matter?

Post Edited (Oct 6, 6:21pm)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a great book for high -performance car audio...so i got a lot of answers...but if you guys could please still respond to my questions to help me out, thanks a lot. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
i think almost all coaxial speakers are 4 ohms , the ohms i believe tell you the definity of the sound , the higher the ohms the better they will sound (like house speakers are 8 ohms) so just stick to the 4ohms from the reciever andthe speaker , the only way to drop ohms is to connect two speakers into one , if you do it in a series you will raise the ohms and if you do it parallel you lower the ohms , the ohm game is mostly important when running dual subs to a single channel mono amp so dont worry about it(never connect two door speakers or any other coaxial speakers into one outlet) , the only way to break a speaker is to overpower it , you wont have this problem with running them to the head unit , the wires will make a difference but you know not some thing like wow , i stil recomend unnin new 14 or 16 gauge wire (thinkof it as either putting some off brand sparkplug wires instead of ngk's or something) now you can blow your speaker by playing them too loud , i would recomend you spring for the infinity kappas , they will sound alot better than other brands because of that crossover they come with , but dont expect awesome bass from the , the bass will be decent but if you hear distortion turn it down , you will never have awesome bass from a coaxial in our cars because if you look under the speaker mount , there is no sort of enclosure , with it needs to move the air and make the bass ( kind of complicated but its like running a subwoofer out of a box in free air , you dont hear bass at all.never worry about an amp blowing , most oif the time the speaker will burn out from playing it too loud instead of the amp, the worst that can happen to the amp is overheating , i had a bazooka amp that did this to me alot but it had a safety mechanism that turned of the amp , now know that some bazooka is crap anything rockford fosgate i recomend , they are relatively cheap and easily attainable and best buy i dont know if circuit city carries them , and infinity is a part of harman kardon (stock systems in bmw) the hasver very high standards and they are also easily attainble at circuit city,some subs you have to break in (like a car you dont push to the max for a little while) i dont think you have to do this with coaxials tho , and also running two subs in parallel will drop the ohms and by that giving you more power, but only do it if the amp can handle the extra draw(if it says in the specs it is two ohm safe )

rocford fosgate has a website i think it is rockfordfosgate.com they are american made in arizona i believe , and infinity has one too it is infinitycaraudio.com i think or something like that if they dont come up just google it , if you want better sounds you should think about springin for a sony head unit just make sure it has the 7 band equalizer because that one has all the goodies remember dont cheap out because you will later regret it , when you have a bunch of speakers and no use for them because you upgraded , like i dont i have a bunch of ten inch subwoofers that i dont use because kept upgrading for louder and better sound , good luck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL I bought this book as ive been posting this :p

The problem with my home system (that could be a prolem with any system) was that I was using a too small wire going to a pair of the speakers...so i thought the speakers were bad, but after buying like 12 or 8 gauge they were like 3x improved (prolly not enough power to move the more bassier cones)

Thanks for the help, do i need a crossover for my tweeter and midrange (prolly gonna get coaxial speakers) or does it come with it already integrated and tuned for that coaxial speaker?

Also, can you get an equalizer and hook it up to the ("preequalized???") amp/headunit?

·
Registered
958 Posts
If your lookin to get a **** good deal on monster cable (the best/thickest wire I've been able to find) I found a place a while ago that I still remember. It had 500 ft of monster cable speeker wire for $83 bucks. Scince then I've checked back and the price has gone up to 160 sumthin, but normally in stores its like 300 I think, I dunno. its a significant savings. Point is, I know where you can get monster cable for cheap.

·
Registered
353 Posts
yea the kappas come with a crossover is it like cigarette sized box and it does all the work , most "normal" speaker just come with a resistor that hooks up bettween the midrange and the tweeter , dont know what it does but keeps it from blowin the tweeter , and yeah im a sure theres ways to integrate an equalizer to you system , but why would you want to? your better off saving youmoney and buying a 150-170 dollar sony head unit the comes with the 7 band equalizer and not only that , it also has filters to filter out all the low frequencies(bass) out of your small speakers and filter out all the high frequncies (mids and highs) out of the rca driven ampthat powers your subs, and deppending on what amp you with for the subs , you wont need more than 8 gauge unlesss your are running more than 300 watts wich if you do you will need a capacitor(expensive) and if you gomore than 800 i would recomend a high oputput alternator .

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not a resister.....it's a capacitor.....capacitors act as filters....the value on the cap determines what frequency to cuts off at.

Skip the seperate eq....most good head units have one built in anyway.

If the head unit you get has sub out and a seperate sub level control from the bass then you can adjust the bass down some to compensate for a higher volume without distorting your mids and highs.

A cap in the power line for your amp is recommended if you are going to go with a higher wattage amp. More current for a better alternator would help too.
For instance, I have 800 watts on my 12's...no cap, 14 guage wire (8 guage would be overkill) running at 2 ohms mono. I have a higher current alternator and have zero problems.

2+2 turrrbo - while you do give some good info, can you try some punctuation and a few capital letters as everything seems to run together like it is all one thought.

pyro

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
14gauge wire + 800 watts = NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!

I've got 8 gauge and I'm only running 300 watts....

When was the last time you saw an amp wiring kit with less than 10 gauge wires?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Kenwood Excelon Mp3 player
4 Kenwood 6.5 speakers
1 8" Kenwood Subwoofer
1 600X2 watt Kenwood Amp
1 380X4 watt Kenwood Amp

Thats my set up:) I like it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well...if you need a capacitor to make a 6.5" speaker to work im at a loss of words lol...but the main thing i want to make sure of is that the speakers i buy will have a crossover for the tweeters.

Then later i think i will buy an amp for a 10" woofer.

Upgrading your wires is never a bad idea...

·
Registered
353 Posts
infinity kappas come with external crossovers , components are great speakers , but you will have to do a little more work to get thwem setup , as youare not supposed to have the tweeter too far away from the midrange and so on ,they are also more money for the comps, the infinitys i am suggesting also come as components , and i have both comp and coaxials , and to me they sound identical .

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
um....yeah I've got the kappa's too. They're great speakers. The components are basically 6.5" + Tweeters + crossovers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im looking at kappas and it says there impedence is 2, i need some speakers with 4 ohms so it works with my current headunit amp. Thats the new KAPPA62.7I model, what do you guys have?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.