ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much for rwhp is lost with an automatic tranny vs. the MT tranny on an NA. Spose a MT NA runs 180rwhp, what would the auto run?

Post Edited (Jan 6, 5:35pm)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
so this is my guess, theres 20hp less due to transmission and drivetrain right, and the motor itself (automatic motor) uses smaller turbos so that means its about another 20hp less right
so that takes the 300zx down from 300hp to only 260hp

doesnt make sense to me so someone can explain that to me

Post Edited (Jan 6, 8:22pm)

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Average drivetrain loss is 16%. So therefore a stock auto TT with 280BHP - 16% = 235.

Hope that solves that question.

Post Edited (Jan 6, 5:37pm)

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
... I think the point was missed. Automatic transmissions, by nature, lose much more drivetrain power than manuals. They also waste more fuel. For instance, with the automatic transmission in my friend's 01 maxima drivetrain loss is 22-27%. His was 27%. A 6spd swap on the same car produced 16% drivetrain loss. The avg auto is at least 18%, probably higher in total drivetrain loss.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Everybody always wants a manual because of the "fun" factor but a properly built automatic with the right torque converter will blow manual off the line. So if you have an auto don't convert, upgrade and be the envy of your friends.

If you are in phoenix and need tranny or torque converter work drop me a line. My step-dad has a shop and he is amazing at getting you some juice.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
jr ill agree with that statement for the most part. But do you know how many people dont have a clue how to size out a TQ converter? Also I havent seen an abundance of TQ converters for Zs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No they need to be built and not many people do that.

Z31 my step-Dad builds tranny and torque conveters he has several patents he is brilliant when it comes to that. Howver, he only really does engin work on mustangs and older muscle cars.

·
Registered
175 Posts
PhxZ31, if you are ever in chanlder on Country Club Ave down by pecos the shop is called G&X transmissions. My Dad's name is Galo he'll answer any questions you have and BS with you for a while. He knows more than most. He used to own a dyno/performance shop in Cali http://www.vts-racing.com/trans.php. His son now owns it.

It is here where he tuned my NA to the impossible but dynoed level of 225 rwhp.

He is a great guy and great resource if your ever in the area.

Jason

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
hmm... maybe I'll have to check it out. I used to live in Mesa but now I'm up in N. Scottsdale at my parents house for the next 6 months or so..

I don't mind the drive though.. its always good to make friends with a good mechanic. Especially somebody really knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
TQ converters are great if you are focusing on just 'off the line' and drag racing. I talk about road racing when I say racing, the rest of the stuff is just for fun IMO. On a road course, nobody cares how quick you can get off the line on lap 3, but losing the extra drivetrain power, adding 100 lbs, and running hotter than a manual is noticed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thats very true, however when you have a cip of coffee in one hand and a cell in the other autos come in handy.
That being said I'll keep my five speed.

jason

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i personally don't like autos. Too bad i have one :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.