ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This stuff was getting a little buried, so I thougt I'd bring it back to the top.

>On the K & N, is there any difference in >performance between the ram air set-up and just >replacing the stock filter? $125 seems like a >chunk of change for a pipe. I guess if that >includes the filter we're more in the $75 range. >I've already removed the serpentine snorkel.

I don't know. I don't run fuel injection. The stock system is quite restrictive however, so any change to allow the engine to breathe better is going to result in more hp. Steve Graber has some good ideas regarding adapting a large K&N filter with PCV pipe. Alot cheaper than the $125 you quoted, and it looked pretty slick. I think he has a webpage, just ask and he'll help you out. Someone else made on with a aluminum pipe, but I forget who it was.

>Also, I can't seem to get rid of a ticking in my >valves. I'm wondering if it could be a small >exhaust leak, instead of valve train noise. If >the valves are adjusted, what else in the valve >train could be ticking? Any ideas?

A lot of us have this problem. I think it's the way the OHC is designed. No matter how I adjust my valves, the ticking remains.

Here's my guess as to why this happens. One thing to note here, is that I haven't noticed any mechanical/performance problems associated with the ticking. I think this is due to the way the cam rides on top of the rockers, instead of sitting below the rockers (like a HONDA). As the cam lobe rotates past the rockers, the spring pressure causes them to slap back up onto the cam. I don't think it's the sound of a valve ticking in the head, I think it's the rocker hitting the cam. Maybe someone else has some ideas/suggestions. The chain might be causing some noise as well.
Remember, another car that has the infamous ticking sound is a Porsche. It is normal for them, so I don't see why some ticking wouldn't be normal for the Z. Of course they are air cooled [at least used to be :( ] so that contributes to some of the sound.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
As far as the ticking is concerned, I have heard some Z's that hardly make a sound and others that are clattering away like a diesel. Even though both had the valves adjusted by the same guy. I'm hoping it's the lash pads (bcause I just replaced mine) but maybe someone here has the actual answer!

Steve Graber

The link to the intake is <A HREF=http://www.newtier.com/graber/z-car/Air-Intake-Project/index.html>http://www.newtier.com/graber/z-car/Air-Intake-Project/index.html</A>

Note: The part # for the K&N filter is actually RU-900.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
K&N mods

I like Steve's setup a lot. But.. Being lazy at times I used 2 1/2 PVC with the female ends in a 90 degree and a male/female 45 degree. The outside diameter for this is 2 3/4 and will slip right into the AFM rubber bellows and also inside the K&N RU-0900. Mine is more restrictive than Steves setup primarily but still helped a bit response. You can hear it sucking air with the hood open. If you use this method make sure the filter clears the hood and hinges as it is close to the original filters location. Cost? Under $30.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: thank you

> I like Steve's setup a lot. But.. Being lazy
> at times I used 2 1/2 PVC with the
> female ends in a 90 degree and a
> male/female 45 degree. The outside diameter
> for this is 2 3/4 and will slip right
> into the AFM rubber bellows and also inside
> the K&N RU-0900. Mine is more restrictive
> than Steves setup primarily but still helped
> a bit response. You can hear it sucking air
> with the hood open. If you use this method
> make sure the filter clears the hood and
> hinges as it is close to the original
> filters location. Cost? Under $30.

Thank you dave and everyone else for all your quality responses.

I hope I can be as helpful.

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
100 Posts
I feel like I'm getting in at the middle of this one. So here's, well my one cent on this.

I took my 81 zx to Zsport for a valve adjustment because of the ticking. Although it's always ticked I thought they could fix it. They said it is normal. They told me it is actually the injectors ticking. I didn't get any more detail than that. They adjusted my valves and the normal zcar valve clatter was a bit better, but still the ticking.

Also, I'm going to do this K&N setup. Is there any problem with the filter getting wet? It rains alot here in the great northwest!!

Thanks,
rbest

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Attn: ticking valves and K&N

> I feel like I'm getting in at the middle of
> this one. So here's, well my one cent on
> this.

> I took my 81 zx to Zsport for a valve
> adjustment because of the ticking. Although
> it's always ticked I thought they could fix
> it. They said it is normal. They told me it
> is actually the injectors ticking. I didn't
> get any more detail than that. They adjusted
> my valves and the normal zcar valve clatter
> was a bit better, but still the ticking.

> Also, I'm going to do this K&N setup. Is
> there any problem with the filter getting
> wet? It rains alot here in the great
> northwest!!

RBEST,

You can hear your fuel injectors if you put a stethoscope or long screwdriver on the injector and your ear. try it. They are clearly audible, but I don't think you can hear them without magnifying the sound. So, the ticking is probably our valve train.

I've read (not speaking from experience) that people have driven long miles through bad rain and eighteeen wheelers throwing buckets of water at their cars without a problem. Supposedly the cotton breathes just fine when wet.

Anyone jump in that has better info.

Later,

Matt
> Thanks,
> rbest

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.