ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris ,why do you shift at 5200 ? If you have a diesel stroker crank the guys at nissan motorsport told me you can turn to 7000 rpm with no problems. If you are already turnin low 13s you ought to run mid 12s easy. Double check with your master tech that built the motor that thing has just got to be able to stand 7000 rpm. I am assuming you have forged pistons,but with even cast pistons 6400rpm should be resonable!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
> Chris ,why do you shift at 5200 ? If you
> have a diesel stroker crank the guys at
> nissan motorsport told me you can turn to
> 7000 rpm with no problems. If you are
> already turnin low 13s you ought to run mid
> 12s easy. Double check with your master tech
> that built the motor that thing has just got
> to be able to stand 7000 rpm. I am assuming
> you have forged pistons,but with even cast
> pistons 6400rpm should be resonable!!!

I never said I had a deisel stroker crank, and I doubt that I do. There has abeen a lot of work done, to make this engine a 3.1, but i don't remember anything about a diesel stroker crank.

From what I've seen, the engine stops pulling at about 5800 to 6000. I've only done this a couple of times, though. When I jump to the next gear, it causes the tires to break loose, and the rear of the car gets VERY squirly! And on street tires, I mean VERY VERY squirly! On the track, if you loose
your footing, you loose time.

The car doesn't seem to pull hard enough through those top rpm to make me feel that it's worth shifting that high. The tranny doesn't seem to want to hold up to it either. I've broken syncro rings, tring to shift above 5200. I broke 2nd gear at about 5000rpm, and 3rd shifting at about 5400rpm.

Also remeber that this is my everyday drive for 9 months out of the year. I want this car to last 100,000 miles on this engine. So, pushing it to it's outermost limits is just not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, if some hard headed rich boy with a 3000GT VR-4 thinks he has what it takes, and the money to back it up, I'll give him a taste of Z mania, but as far as heavy duty passes at the local speedway. . .I don't know that I'll make too many more. I plan to make 4 to 5 more passes late in march, but that should do it. I'll have my clutch and tranny parts done this winter, and my intake reworked for a cooler induction. (I'm working on a huge idea for this project, that I will be posting later on this site.), so I'll test these changes out, and then it goes back to a mild mannered Z car, getting me to and from school and dates.

Z-ya,
Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>Chris I'm pretty sure you have the diesel crank , all the the 3.1 L engines Ive heard about use this crank.Either that or your mechanic bored it way over 89mm.I dont know why your tranny broke, Ive broken old countershaft bearings and the rod inside the tranny connecting the shifter a couple times but I never have had any trouble with breaking gears or synchros.It's your car and I know you know what works best for it but it just seems like you should be able to pull a few more rpms (Maybe your tach is off,you might be turnin close to 6500 and don't know)Anyway your speed through 1/4 is killer (110) I'm willing to guess with good drag tires your times would be high 12s even shifting where you do.Keep blowin' the doors off those 3000GTs,Eclipses,Mustangs,camaros, corvettes,etc,etc,etc.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.