ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aha, so now I get it. I knew there was something not quite right there. I built my 2.8L engine myself, and am proud of the performance I was able to get while maintaining some driveability. Engines similar to mine were putting out between 220-240hp, and I kept thinking about the racing 2.8L with custom manifold that had 250ft/lb and 275hp, and how you could be so close with a street engine. But, since you have 3.1L, that makes all the difference. I'm glad you've got the power, and keep dusting those new school imports and domestics. They need a Z to show them who's king of the road, and who will always be king of the road.

Too bad you're not local, we could have a good race. Once I put in the 3.9R200, I should be able to break into the high 13's also. I would love to see what a 2.8L 240hp 240Z vs a 3.1L 250hp 280ZX would do.

Z-on
240Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
I'm sorry about the confusion. Antony to you too.

> Aha, so now I get it. I knew there was
> something not quite right there. I built my
> 2.8L engine myself, and am proud of the
> performance I was able to get while
> maintaining some driveability. Engines
> similar to mine were putting out between
> 220-240hp, and I kept thinking about the
> racing 2.8L with custom manifold that had
> 250ft/lb and 275hp, and how you could be so
> close with a street engine. But, since you
> have 3.1L, that makes all the difference.
> I'm glad you've got the power, and keep
> dusting those new school imports and
> domestics. They need a Z to show them who's
> king of the road, and who will always be
> king of the road.

> Too bad you're not local, we could have a
> good race. Once I put in the 3.9R200, I
> should be able to break into the high 13's
> also. I would love to see what a 2.8L 240hp
> 240Z vs a 3.1L 250hp 280ZX would do.

> Z-on
> 240Dave

I thought I jad told you, or I assumed you knew, or something.

Like I said, I was talking to my mechanic, and he said to me, Oh yeah, a 3.1Z engine is a great piece of machinery, that you can really build up nice.

A little voice in my head told me, You morron you forgot to tell them you're talking about a 3.1 not a 2.8!

So, now we have it straight.

By the way, where are you from?

Where I'm at,(Ft. Worth), it's hard to run into an imoprt that is heavily customized. They are few and far between. Almost makes me wish I lived on the coast, so I could run into a few more of these guys. I have to deal with Z28's, T/A's, Mustangs and mild mannored(?) Eclipses and 3000GT's. I love racing 300GT's. VR-4's are nice to look at, but they just don't have the power that I would like to see in a new import. And then once you have raced a few of them, word gets around, and then you can't find a decent race, because everyone knows not to waste thier time or money.

Keep on keppin'on,

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
240 2.8 vs 280 3.1

Here is your answer to 240 2.8 vs 280 3.1. I think Chris said he ran a 13.0 @110 in his 280 zx.M y best run in my 240 was at Rockingham dragway in N.C.. last May . I ran a 13.4 @ 101 it was about 70 degrees at night low humidity.This was done on street tires with an open header, it was about .17 slower with my 2 1/2 exhaust system connected.MY drivetrain was a stock 75 280 bottom end with a shaved N42 head mild cam 3.9 rear and an 82 5 speed.Also that was speed shifting at 7800 rpm, if I let off gas car slowed down about 2 tenths.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Re: 240 2.8 vs 280 3.1

> Here is your answer to 240 2.8 vs 280 3.1. I
> think Chris said he ran a 13.0 @110 in his
> 280 zx.M y best run in my 240 was at
> Rockingham dragway in N.C.. last May . I ran
> a 13.4 @ 101 it was about 70 degrees at
> night low humidity.This was done on street
> tires with an open header, it was about .17
> slower with my 2 1/2 exhaust system
> connected.MY drivetrain was a stock 75 280
> bottom end with a shaved N42 head mild cam
> 3.9 rear and an 82 5 speed.Also that was
> speed shifting at 7800 rpm, if I let off gas
> car slowed down about 2 tenths.

Hey, you really got that car moving.

I can't wrap my enigine to 7800, I shift right at 5200. The engine is still pulling, but I won't take it past this. No exceptions. I shift with about half clutch, and the Nismo tranny parts seem to like it. My only problem is tearing through stock synchro rings. I think my clutch may have contributed to this problem though.

I ran a 13.1 at 110. Not a big diffrence, but my goal is to have this car in the high 12's. But not anytime soon. I have a new car to play with, so the Z is going to stay as it is for now.

Any horspower #'s on your car?

Keep on Zing.(At your high rate of speed.)

Chris Behney
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: 240 2.8 vs 280 3.1

Maybe I missed something but you said that you have a 3.1 in your 280ZX, did you buy a kit and have it bored out or what? Just wondering.

John in Portland, OR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: 240 2.8 vs 280 3.1

To see the rest of the posts, scroll down and click on the threads that talk about getting a
V-8. Phantom and Chris are throwing words. But in the response section, you'll see the rest of the conversation that got deleted.

> Maybe I missed something but you said that
> you have a 3.1 in your 280ZX, did you buy a
> kit and have it bored out or what? Just
> wondering.

> John in Portland, OR
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top