ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help fellas. I've reassembled my brake system, I had it all apart rebuilding the calipers and painting them. I also had the master cylinder out of the car for about 2 months, it sat on a bench dry for that period of time. So here is my deal:

I reassembled the whole system and filled with fluid. I have been through the sequence of bleeding LR, RF, LF, RR, ABS Front, ABS Rear literally 40 times. In that time, I have run through two HUGE bottles of Prestone hi performance brake fluid. The fluid is running out crystal clear from all four corners and the ABS nipples. There has been NO AIR coming out of any nipple for the last 8-10 times through the sequence. I still have a "squishing/gurgling" sound coming from the ABS unit, and the pedal will still go to the floor. When pumped repeatedly, forcefull, and rapidly - pressure will build and the pedal will feel good, but that will all go away within a few seconds and the pedal will bottom out. Each stroke of the pedal produces the gurgling sound on the downstroke and the upstroke, and the sound is centered right where the ABS unit sits.

I repeat, there is NO AIR coming from any location for the longest time. I have put at least 2 quarts of CLEAN brake fluid through the lines, let alone the dirty stuff that came out for a while.

I think either the master cylinder got FUBARED sitting dry for 2 months, the ABS system is jacked up somehow (don't know how since it wasn't touched) or something else crazy that I can't think of. The bolts are all tightened at the MC and each caliper, no fluid is leaking from them.

So????????????

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Did you bench bleed the master cylinder b4 you put her back in? If not, that is your problem

Post Edited (Jan 21, 3:15pm)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Also try bleeding the abs unit itself. turn the line nuts loose at the abs unit and bleed the air out at the highest fittings since air rises in fluid. be careful not spill any fluid on the paint as it will stain and or peel the paint. Advise doing this with the battery diconnected as not activate the pump.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
another thing..the sequence you listed is wrong. You go from the furthest point on your car to the closest to the master cylinder. so it should be Passenger side rear...Driver side rear...Passenger side front...driver side front. Another thing..is your sitting level or is the front end jacked up? I know I did a stainless steel clutch line a while back and I had the nose of the car jacked up. I ended up trapping air in the lines and I ran into problems.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Mr. whtfairladyZ is correct ...

your bleeding sequence should be LR, RR,RF,LF, Front side ABS air bleed, Rear Side ABS air bleed.
MaxDoc

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
ok i m curious...I always mess this up..which is the driver side..left or right? And is it based upon lookin at the car? or sitting in it?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
lol. the driver's side depends on what side the steering wheel is on, it would vary between US and JSPEC. The left, right, front, and rear is always based on the car as you're sitting in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.