ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 3.1 liter motor and I am using the HK$ 1mm head gasket and ARP head studs. I was wondering if anyone knows what I should torque the head to. Stock is 65lbs but that will probably be too much. Also, should I use any sealer on the head gasket? I am also using ARP studs for the rod bolts and Main bearing caps. Torque figures for those would also be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The studs should have an instruction sheet with the torque values. Contact ARP for the info. Remember the torque varies greatly depending on if you are using the ARP moly lube or engine oil to lubricate the threads. It's something like a 30 pound difference, so be sure to find the correct torque for the lube you are using. You need to use sealer only around the water passages when using the HKS gasket.
greg
71 240z

Ian wrote:
-------------------------------
I am building a 3.1 liter motor and I am using the HK$ 1mm head gasket and ARP head studs. I was wondering if anyone knows what I should torque the head to. Stock is 65lbs but that will probably be too much. Also, should I use any sealer on the head gasket? I am also using ARP studs for the rod bolts and Main bearing caps. Torque figures for those would also be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: ARP head studs</b>

80-85 ft-lbs for head stud bolts. Remember, you only hand tighten the studs into the head

40-45 ft-lbs for the rod bolts, I chose 43 for my motor. Use the moly lube. Also, the bolts must be pre-stretched, follow the directions that were provided with the bolts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.