1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WAS THINKING OF INSTALLING THESE INTO MY 83 280ZX:
MOTORSPORTS BIG BORE THROTLE BODY
MOTORSPORT HEADERS
I LIVE IN CALI AND WAS WONDERING IF I GET THESE INSTALLED WILL MY CAR STILL PASS SMOG? ALSO IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO BUY WHEN INSTALLING THESE 2? I WAS ALSO THINKING IF I SHOULD JUST HAVE A MECHANIC INSTALL THE HEADERS AND THROTTLE BODY...ANY HELP IS APPERCIATED .THANK YOU

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> I WAS THINKING OF INSTALLING THESE INTO MY
> 83 280ZX:
> MOTORSPORTS BIG BORE THROTLE BODY
> MOTORSPORT HEADERS
> I LIVE IN CALI AND WAS WONDERING IF I GET
> THESE INSTALLED WILL MY CAR STILL PASS SMOG?
> ALSO IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO BUY
> WHEN INSTALLING THESE 2? I WAS ALSO THINKING
> IF I SHOULD JUST HAVE A MECHANIC INSTALL THE
> HEADERS AND THROTTLE BODY...ANY HELP IS
> APPERCIATED .THANK YOU

I've got the Motorsport big bore throttle body and headers, their K&N air filter kit and a Targa exhaust system on my '82 280ZX non-turbo coupe and it passes the smog check in the Peoples Republic of California with no problem. The throttle body isn't difficult for even an amateur with basic tools to install, but I'd recommend you have a professional put on the exhaust headers unless you've got a high tolerance for frustration and a lot of time to mess with it. If you don't break anything, the only extras you'll probably need are the header gasket and smog fittings, which still come with the Motorsport header kit, I believe.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did u feel any difference in power or response? i want t get my car to at least 200 hp...would u say its worth getting these items...also did u have to adjust anything like the amf for the k n filter? thanks for your help!!!!
kvn

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you decide to go with the header/t-body combo, I would strongly recommend getting your intake manifold modified to match the throttle body. I bought a used manifold at a junkyard and brought it to a machine shop to clean it and bore it out to 60mm @ 60 degrees (not enough metal to go 60mm all the way thru). Then I just swapped everything out when I put the header on. I would also recommend putting your own header on.....it's good practice. Just make arrangements with a nearby muffler/exhaust shop so they can get it in to weld the rest of the exhaust on.

Mark Z

> did u feel any difference in power or
> response? i want t get my car to at least
> 200 hp...would u say its worth getting these
> items...also did u have to adjust anything
> like the amf for the k n filter? thanks for
> your help!!!!
> kvn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.