ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a 92 GT Mustang that I installed a K&N filter in and you could feel a "seat of the pants" difference in performance. I now have a 76 280 with 70 SU carbs and the stock aircleaner and am asking if it is worth the $100.00 price for the pair that motorsport gets for these (Rouund replacements)or if the stock aircleaner K&N replacement is any good or if I should just keep my stock aircleaner. I plan in the future to have a 10 to 1 compression cammed engine(flatops/P79) with headers and 2 1/2" exhaust. Any suggestions? TIA, Brian

·
Registered
272 Posts
Brian,

I recently just picked up a set of SU's from a friend, and will be instaling them today, so i'll get back to you on this, they are theround set seperate for each carb just to make sure they are they ones you are talking about.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: i mixed myself up

sorry bout that,

i meant that i got a pair of K&N filters to go onto the Su's from a friend, not got the Su's from a friend... but i am instaling the K&N's today..

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
They will increase air intake over stock filters. This is pretty much accepted. They last "forever", which means that you just clean them instead of replace them. So, prorated over a long period of time, they will certainly outperform and be a better value in the long run over standard paper fiber filters.

·
Registered
741 Posts
They don't filter as well as a paper filter

I have a filtercharger on my truck and it does increase air flow. However, the filtering is not as good as a paper filter. Although it has never happened to me I have heard numerous times of the filters letting alot of dust through. This is obviously not as big a problem on a street car as an off-road vehicle.

I don't know if anyone has had a dyno with a K&N on a Z but some people in an offroading club I am a member of dynod their trucks with the stock box and K&N and they saw no improvement in HP.

I want to state I don't know if they make any difference on the Zs but I think it is important to know that they don't filter nearly as well as paper. I have also heard of people over oiling them and getting oil in there MAF sensor.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Depends on application

On the three vehicles I've installed K&N's on, only one didn't have a huge power response. Seems high performance vehicles benefit more from them.

Small V8 273 cu in Barracuda, made very noticeable torque and top end horsepower. Wouldn't run without one! Sounds way cooler, too.

RZ350 motorcycle, 2-stroke: quick before K&N's, total hellion evil bike afterwards (EASILY 10-20% increase in horses, no joke). But it already had performace pipes, and I jetted it too. Went from 29 to 43 MPG at the same time!!

1989 Toyota pickup, 4-cyl. Made no noticeable improvement. But made me mad a week later when my girlfriend took it in for an oil change, and the shop said they had replaced it with a paper one!!! They didn't touch it, but they charged her for cleaning it anyways, which they didn't do. Sons of....

·
Registered
428 Posts
I noticed a difference on my 98 Nissan frontier pickup and on my wifes Honda Civic not only on seat of the pants power but in fuel mileage. Maybe 4 mpg on the Honda (now at 38 around town) and 2 on the Nissan (a very consistent 25 around town).

Charles

·
Registered
492 Posts
i cant tell much on my 82 zxt.....(i canned the old breather,piping,and hooked it right up to the intake)....but its ok (just for the filter)....those kits (piping) they try to sell gotta be REAL rip-offs.....my opinion......s

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Depends on application

I agree with NathanZ. It does depend on application. If you have plenty of cool air coming into your motor,you must have a decent exhaust system to expel that air! Exhaust makes a big differance on a Zcar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.