Registered
7,924 Posts
Re: anything special i need to know about doing a clutch befor i

before you start, make sure you have these thing:
- clutch alignment tool
- a couple of 6" socket wrench extensions
- a universal joint socket pivot
- two floor jack and some wood

after that, should be straight forward. haynes manual tells all, although as Stu85na has pointed out before, you'll be jumping back and forth a lot unless you re-write all the instructions together.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

If you haven't had your exhaust off or (heaven forbid) you have the stock exhaust from the factory, expect the various exhaust bolts to take can's and can's of WD40 and lots of elbow grease (unless you have an impact wrench!).

You should consider having your flywheel resurfaced while you can get to it as well.

Definitely need 2 floor jacks.

Take the time to replace exhaust gaskets.

Don't take shortcuts and take your time!

Post if you have questions!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts

Nice clutch. looks exactly like my ACT clutch, but my disc has no springs on it and the cover is yellow.

Post Edited (Nov 6, 12:26pm)

·
Registered
297 Posts

i would definately get your flywheel resurfaced , it is a smart idea if you're putting on a performance clutch such as yours. if the wheel looks fine, you could take the chance, but its better safe than sorry.

it only cost me like 30 bucks or so at an auto parts store, takes an hour or two depending on how busy they are.

also, get a LONG socket extension to get at the 14mm tranny bolts. i mean, 3ft or so. it's really hard to get at the top bolts without one. i would also reccomend that you get a buddy or two to help you guide the tranny onto the jack and to balance it correctly when you are putting it back in.

seconded on the WD40.

my job went just fine and it was the first thing i've ever done to a car in my life. i was proud of myself :p

good luck!

Post Edited (Nov 6, 2:43pm)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

You should be proud, I know I was! It feels great to know that the job was done right and for the best price possible! On top of that, you know how to do it for next time and it will probably take 1/4 the time!

·
Registered
53 Posts

NEVER replace a clutch without turning the flywheel!!! Doesnt matter if the flywheel looks good or not. Many problems can occur if you do not, and its too big of a job, to go back and turn it after you've already re-assambled the car. Do yourself a favor and turn it while its apart, like Blake said, it only costs about $30.

·
Registered
297 Posts

thanks for clearing that up, jerky. i read the documentation that came with my centerforce and it said it was absolutely necessary. when i took it to the grease monkey who was supervising my install (and lending me tools) he said that he had had instances in the past where he didn't need to turn it because it was visually still fine, but i was skeptical because it seemed that the surface would have to be freshly turned for the clutch to align properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.