ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see where the hood hits the intake. Can anybody take a pic of under the hood and mabye circle where the clearance problem is. I am getting ready to do the swap. I have to cutouts for the vents and hope they are in about the right place. Be nice to plan now while I wait for the parts to get back from the machine shop. Hope someone will help. Thanks Z-ya

·
Registered
657 Posts
so i really want to do this mod............. what year pathfinder do you use for an 86. What kind of numbers are we talking here... 5-10hp? Can this be done using z31 distributor?

Post Edited (Mar 30, 11:45am)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already have one, just not installed. The parts are at the machine shop being polished, and having plates welded on idle valve mounts, and ect.. Thought Johnzboy might see this, he learned the hard way, and figured that he could snap a pic of his old stock hood. I was hoping it will fall into the part of the hood that I cut out for the cooling ducts on the top front of the hood. I dont want to raise the back of the hood

Post Edited (Mar 30, 6:10pm)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I'm sure the N/a will benifit from this mod. From what I understand, it will not improve your HP much, But it gives a huge increase in torque numbers, especially on a modified turbo. like 50 ftlbs on average.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This is obviously not an OEM hood, but, with the exception of the cowl it's identical. The skeleton was made using a stock hood as a mold, so, it's just like a stock hood.

The Pathfinder upper plenum contacted this hood the most at the throttle body opening. You can see where I ground off all I dared trying to make it fit. Even the air tube connected to the TB touched. If the cowl had been a little wider (2" OAW) it would've been perfect.

I don't know how this would have worked with the stock hood. It could have been contacting more in the center without the raised cowl.

My Pathfinder upper plenum now fits under the cowl hood fine. I machined the base so when it's bolted down it is tilted a bit toward the left. Be careful if you try this. Too much of an angle will lay it down on the rocker cover.

Hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.