Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know the topic of "clear" tail lights has come up from time to time... with someone/s saying how they have created their own (usually with great difficulty)...

I saw an ad in a car mag the other day from a UK based company that makes clear lights for cars. I was thinking of asking if they'd consider making ones for Z's, but know they would want some kind of commitment.

How many of you all would be interested? How much would you pay?

And, can someone answer... I know for instance that the 79-81 & 82-83 tail lights were very similar, yet not actually swappable due to some minor differences. If this project was to work out, the manufacturer would need to be able to make 1 design that will fit the majority of cars.

How difficult would it therefore be to get around the changes in each year model, to design something to fit say all pre 300zx cars? Are the 240/260/280's close enough to make this happen?

Any advice etc would be appreciated.

Cheers
Travis

·
Registered
507 Posts
How difficult would it therefore be to get around the changes in each year model, to design something to fit say all pre 300zx cars?

Nearly Impossible..

Are the 240/260/280's close enough to make this happen?

Have you actually seen these cars. The 240 had distinctive tailights that are drastically different from the later Zs. Their mounting points in the sheet metal itself are cut completely different. The 260 and 280 do share taillight assemblies though.

Then we have the ZX models, which as you have stated are a completely different animal. ZX tail lights mount on the vehicles surface whereas the Z tail lights had a metal finisher around them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would be very interrested in a set of clear taillights for an 83' 280zx and would consider paying $200.00 or so just for the look I am trying to achieve.
but as ozzy 79 said that the 79-80 tailight wouldnt fit an 81-83 is untrue all of the 280zx tail lights will interchange the only difference is the later model lights have sever horizontal black stripes versus the 79-80 had a singleblack stripe.
but i still would like a set of clears.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ozzy,

I would be interested in the clear side markers front and back and the blinker lights in the bumper of an 82zx. These for the side markers might be more universal? I would not be willing to spend more then 150.00 for the sidemarkers(4) 50.00 for the blinkers and the back 150.00. Ask madeline she prob knows which are the same and so forth.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I would pay $500 for a complete set of clears. That's the front lenses, turn signals and rear tailights.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
All this talk about clear lenses and lights sounds awfully ricey to me.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Shut up, you fool. I've been looking to complete my car's look for some time now. I have a blue and silver 280ZX, totally crystal clear windows, and a clear coat so thick you see the sky in it. But those orange things are killing the image.

I want a silver chrome and midnight blue 280ZX. There's nothing rice about a mod that enchances look if that's what you're after.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I like that blue/silver paint u said. That sounds great

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My280 - I am told on good advice that the mounting screws are lined up differently for the 82/83 vs 79-81. I haven't put it to the test myself, as I've only had an 81 and 79 (which certainly were interchangable.

I'm hoping though that this wouldn't be too much of a problem. Certainly the layout of the lights is irrelevent for this cause - we simply need something that will fit onto the car and look decent.

If I can I'll buy the magazine in question so i can scan the ad and show you all what this company offers.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Thanks, it's basically a stock 280ZX with different lenses. And dropped 2 inches of course, for coolness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.