ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im thinking of getting a 240Z(280?) and racing Imp. Touring S w/ the SCCA? Im 20, so I dont have a lot of money. I realize thats a paradox in itself, but I was wondering if the Z cars are reliable, good fast cars. What kind of 1/4 times should I expect? Are theey easy to drive or hard? Should I get a turbo or N/A? What kind of problems should I expect? I realize these are a lot of questions, but I appreciate any info you guys can give. Thanks

·
Registered
905 Posts
Not having enough money presents its own problems for sure. But yes, the Zcars are reliable, fast cars, that can be competitive if driven and prepared right. Putting a turbo on an engine that didnt have one from the factory puts you into a different class, and unless you go all out, you wont do too well. Parts are easy to get since the Z and 510 have been competitive and in demand since they came out. But the money thing can prevent you from doing much in ITS. You also have the added cost of repairs from hitting other things. You are, after all, on the track with many other drivers and drivers will make mistakes. If you dont have a whole lot of money to throw at a car, then try autocrossing to get a taste of what it can be like. Its extremely cheaper, and will give you less headaches. Autocross clubs also sponsor events at road courses a couple times a year to let you get a taste of faster fun. They usually run Sat and Sun, and cost less than $200.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree! I am prepping my '73 for open track events and driving schools next year. I would recommend you try them out first if you need to have that wheel to wheel excitement.

Personally, I don't go for autocross. I get distracted by all those cones...;/

Track schools and club driving events are fun and cheap way to hit the track.

Mike

See you all next May at the Proformance Driving School in Seattle and SIR!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.