Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for curiosities sake...

Has anyone messed around with adapting a tremic T56 to a L series block? I'd be interested in finding out how they did this and which version of the T56 they used.

I have spec sheets that show model numbers for the T5 and T56. Direct from tremic (TTC). The T56 is a stronger overall tranny and has better all around gearing.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
i have no clue.......but that .5 6th gear is enough to get me off.............lol

Hey your civic can go 70 on the interstate at 4.5k rpms!.........Mine does [email protected] idle!!!

That is my dream (well when attached to a 302)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
One name: Jeff Priddy. He's been modifing his 280zx with a 3.1L turbo charged and he's making mind bending numbers of horses. Do a search on his name.

Dave

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Hello, well I have instaled the Tremic TKO2 in my car and it has worked out very well for me. The only thing I would have prefered would have been a better 5th gear overdrive, but I guess you cant have everything.
I considered the T56 unit, but it would have been much more work to get the unit into the car.
So the issues would have been with the tranny to bell housing. There is one guy that has done the conversion. The guys name os Virgil Plunk that did the machine work for the unit. I believe the unit was installed in a 510.
I researched all of the options and for the power I am pushing I liked the TKO2 the best. There are 5.0's that are running 9 second quarter miles runs with that unit.
The Chevy T56 input shaft is to short by almost 1" so you have to totally mod the bell housing, install the pilot bearing into the flywheel to locate it. Then the overall length and relative position of the shifter was about 1" longer, which may be an advantage. Then the driveline issue is not to hard to overcome.
But the thing that stopped me from doing the T56 was my friend, he rebuilds trannies for a living, and he has not got the best review of the T56. Also I have known a few people that was running that unit stock in their new Z28 or camaro's and the tranny went south for no good reason in my mind. So I decided to forget it.
Now if I was to do a T56, I would do the Viper unit and go from there with a 4:11 diff because I could do that with the gear ratio of the tranny and still be able to go over 200mph @ 7K rpm's.
I like the TKO2 it is strong, the gears are a close ratio, well at least they work very well in my car, and it will handle the power of my engine.
You can see what I did on my site at http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt look under the custom stuff page.

·
Registered
631 Posts
IMHO, the T56 is not a good match for the small 6 engine. Unless you have a 4:11 or 4:88 range diff., you can't use 6th under 90 mph. 1st and 2nd gears would be extremely short - on a turbo car - useless.

I think Jeff's use of the 5 spd Tremec was the right one...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hi, i'm looking to junk my POS 700r4 and get a 5 speed or a T56 into my 75 280z, its got the 5.7 chevy crate engine swap already but i just hate my auto tranny. Whats the best manual tranny for me? I like the idea of cruising down the interstate at 1500rpm at 60mph, just waiting for some trash-am to come along, then i'd drop her into 3rd and with tires squeeling, i'd race past the guy, and catch some scratch in 4th gear at about 90mph! That would be kool!!!!!!!!!! pluss getting about 25mpg would help the old pocket book out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.