ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My starter jams when starting and then i have to rock it back and forth in gear. What a hassle. I think it needs to be shimmed but the starter is a parts america remanufactured job. It sucks. Any suggestions?????
Thanks
matt

·
Registered
403 Posts
> My starter jams when starting and then i
> have to rock it back and forth in gear. What
> a hassle. I think it needs to be shimmed but
> the starter is a parts america
> remanufactured job. It sucks. Any
> suggestions?????
> Thanks
> matt

Never heard of shimming a starter on a Z before. All shimming would do on a Z is put less pinion into the flywheel. If you shim it, all you'll do is only have the back half of the pinion contacting the gear and wearing both gears out quicker(potentially) American cars need shims because the starter is mounted in a manner which allows the shims to determine how much the pinion touches the flywheel ring gear from the side. as in the depth the teeth intermesh. I had similar problems with a rebuilt starter, and what it turned out to be was the brushes not contacting the armature in the right places. I'd have to put it in gear and bump it a little to get em lined up right (big pain in the ass). Best bet is take the **** thing back (I'm assuming it's one of those lifetime warranty pieces of crap) I'm on my 3rd one in 2 years myself (from Checker) I may never have to buy one again, but I probably will have to replace it several times.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I had a starter from pepboys and it ruined the ringgear on the flywheel. I took it back because the starter gear shaft came out of the starter. The starter would jam at first then it started to grind. I took mine back and they replaced it for free. The new starter fits much better in the hole and the selinoid is further away from the block.

Just take that starter back and tell them it jams. maybe the newer one will fit better and won't jam.

hope this helps you out.

> My starter jams when starting and then i
> have to rock it back and forth in gear. What
> a hassle. I think it needs to be shimmed but
> the starter is a parts america
> remanufactured job. It sucks. Any
> suggestions?????
> Thanks
> matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.