ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to rebuild some Toyota calipers for my Z and the idiots at Autozone gave me the rebuild kit. I looked through the kit and didn't find the small rubber seals that go between the two half's of the calipers. I asked if they are in suppose to be in here or in another kit. He said I don't know what to tell you. I want to know if someone else has bought this kit and had to replace these smaller seals. If so, what did you use? I could probably fabricate something, but if there is something else out there that I can buy it would be alot faster. Any one got an idea?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I rebuild mine over a year ago, and I don't remember a seal for the Caliper-Halves. I believe you are instructed NOT to Disassemble the caliper halves…. If you're leaking fluid between the halves, you probably wouldn't want to run them on your Z.
One great project saver was utilizing a small compressor, the tiny one's for fine airbrushing…. I suspect a 12v emergency compressor would also do the trick (I think I threw one away the last time I moved). The pressure generated by the small compressor (30lbs.) is more than enough to remove the cylinders (one at a time). I was able to remove each one without resorting to channel-locks, which could easily damage the surface of these important parts.
I've never owned a real compressor…a lot of you guy's are probably familiar with this technique.
My .02,
Manny

·
Registered
197 Posts
> I went to rebuild some Toyota calipers for
> my Z and the idiots at Autozone gave me the
> rebuild kit. I looked through the kit and
> didn't find the small rubber seals that go
> between the two half's of the calipers. I
> asked if they are in suppose to be in here
> or in another kit. He said I don't
> know what to tell you. I want to know
> if someone else has bought this kit and had
> to replace these smaller seals. If so, what
> did you use? I could probably fabricate
> something, but if there is something else
> out there that I can buy it would be alot
> faster. Any one got an idea?
Hey, my name is Charlie and I'm a tech at a Toyota dealership in Austin,TX. I just wanted to let you know that we don't even rebuild our calipers. The kits are available at the dealership
the need is not there. I drive an 89 4x4 everyday
that has 270,000 miles on it and I've never gone into my calipers. The only two reasons I've replaced customers calipers are 1:wrong fluid put in master cyl.(they usually add oil?) and 2:they never flush the brake fluid and the system and you know what that looks like after 5 years. If you insist on rebuilding your calipers you should go and get a REAL Toyota kit. there about $35.00 and one kit rebuilds both calipers. Later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Spot,

It sounds as though you have purchased the
kit. If you have disassembled the calipers, I
suspect there were what looked like slices of
vacuum hose in recesses between the halves. If
you can measure (with a cheap plastic Vernier
Caliper) the diameter and depth of the recesses,
you should be able to find O rings (preformed
packings as the military calls them) to fit in
several materials at your local parts stores.

mikey

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

I knew I should have gotten a dealer kit, but I was to busy to make the drive. I had thought of the o-ring idea, but didn't know if it would give me a good enough seal. This is one place I don't want to take a chance with. I should be putting them on tomorrow after turning the rotors. I guess I'll pick up some o-rings while I'm dropping the rotors off. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.