ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if you guys know what kind of cam, pistons, head, and all the goodiews the BRE team used to run. This sounds like I've gone out of my gourd, but I want to build my '72 into a similar street car. I have triple maikunis, an E-31, an ignition system, and flat-tops. I am also looking for a hot cam if anyone has one for sale!! thanks in advance,

McAdam Majors

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Anyone know the specs on the BRE racing 240Z o

> I was just wondering if you guys know what
> kind of cam, pistons, head, and all the
> goodiews the BRE team used to run. This
> sounds like I've gone out of my gourd, but I
> want to build my '72 into a similar street
> car. I have triple maikunis, an E-31, an
> ignition system, and flat-tops. I am also
> looking for a hot cam if anyone has one for
> sale!! thanks in advance,

> McAdam Majors

McAdam, I think all that data is in the book how to modify your datsun/nissan engine by Frank Honsowetz(sp?), but it may be out of print. where are you located? i think it's also in a '75 issue of Road & Track magazine. I have a rally cam and spraybar from a '75 280 but you'll need new rockers,etc. i won't be able to find any of the valvetrain that went with it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Electramotive was a HUGE part of it

> I was just wondering if you guys know what
> kind of cam, pistons, head, and all the
> goodiews the BRE team used to run. This
> sounds like I've gone out of my gourd, but I
> want to build my '72 into a similar street
> car. I have triple maikunis, an E-31, an
> ignition system, and flat-tops. I am also
> looking for a hot cam if anyone has one for
> sale!! thanks in advance,

> McAdam Majors

There were alot of parts that went into those cars. Things such as Lockheed/Tilton brakes, Nissan Motorsports, Electramotive (engine stuff), custom fabbed parts by Bob Sharp Racing, etc....
Unfortunately, most of these parts are either no longer made, or extremely expensive.

The only place you're likely to find some parts is Nissan Motorsports. These are good quality (I use the headers), but can be expensive. As far as cams are concerned, what c.r. are you running? If your running at least 10:1, then a 270-280 duration cam will work well. Any more duration isn't going to do anything except frustrate you. You just can't install a 'hot' cam and get great results. Your c.r., exhaust size, head porting, valve size, carb size, all factor into cam selection. You'll regret anything over 270 duration, I can almost guarantee it. Anything more than that and about .500 lift is going to cause major headaches. Unless the head was ported to flow above the .500 lift, then there's no point in installing a high lift cam right??? There are many cam manufacturers, as well as regrinders out there. I'm sure you can find something to fit into your engine nicely.

Remember, old Bob Sharp was running cams with something like (310 duration/.600 lift). He also had 12-13:1 compression, dual 2.5 exhaust pipes, custom everything, locked diff, etc...I would advise you to not copy this setup for your street car. Unless you are seriously taking this car racing (meaning it doesn't drive on the street), then these levels of mods are a waste of time. Besides, you need to know the rules of your class, and most of these mods will put you in the top class, way out of your league. This is totally UNSTREETABLE setup, and you will regret installing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Electramotive was a HUGE part of it

Heh good day guys.. I'm running an L28 stroked out to 3250ccs, 14.2:1 cr, 44 mikunis at full bore(no outer venturis), 306 deg, .595" Lift and a 306 deg, .630" Lift, Manley big valves, ported and polished to a mirror by Lee Racing, Nissan Motorsport 1-3/4" Primary headers, 10 lb Tilton, 4 puck copper clutch, 780 kg. Plate,and this dynoed at 387 BHP/319 lb ft at the crank, and to finish the toy... 200 extra hp from NOS Fogger System 05040, and this runs any and everywhere... track, mall, grocery and took it a few times to work. with over 550 hp my **** eats lots of turbo toys

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Electramotive was a HUGE part of it

Heh good day guys.. I'm running an L28 stroked out to 3250ccs, 14.2:1 cr, 44 mikunis at full bore(no outer venturis),306 deg, .595" Lift and a 306 deg, .630" Lift, Manley big valves, ported and polished to a mirror by Lee Racing, Nissan Motorsport 1-3/4" Primary headers, 10 lb Tilton, 4 puck copper clutch, 780 kg. Plate,and this dynoed at 387 BHP/319 lb ft at the crank, and to finish the toy... 200 extra hp from NOS Fogger System 05040, and this runs any and everywhere... track, mall, grocery and took it a few times to work. with over 550 hp my **** eats lots of turbo toys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.