·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading my Turbo magazine I saw a ad for
spiralmax. I checked out the webpage it sounds
good but it is hard to believe their claims
of performance. If you have tried their product,
post your result. I wish their was a place on this web site about products. To see which products are rip offs and which ones are not.
Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: yes, and let's set up a test forum.

> I was reading my Turbo magazine I saw a ad
> for
> spiralmax. I checked out the webpage it
> sounds
> good but it is hard to believe their claims
> of performance. If you have tried their
> product,
> post your result. I wish their was a place
> on this web site about products. To see
> which products are rip offs and which ones
> are not.
> Thanks

Jacob,

I have a friend that bought two of these things. His were actually made by a company called Tornado Air. I think the URL is tornadoair.com. Anyway, it's basically the same thing. Supposedly creates a vortex to improve air intake. Friend wasn't convinced after $130. He put one an a late 80s Trooper, and the other went on a early 90s Taurus.

I read that K&N clalims to straighten the airflow and these guys claim to get it to swirl. Who's theory is correct? Hmmm....

I guess if we see a major auto manufacturer creating their own spiralmax or licensing with one of these companies, then maybe there's something there. Until then, I'd save your money.

If someone has tried one on the Z, let's get some feedback. Better yet, we should all pitch in a buck or two and buy one to have it tested, like 0 to 60 times with and with-out on various models.

I like your idea about a product reference page(s).
I'd be game to do this for numerous aftermarket mods. I think hard data for things from Plugs to headers would be great reference for all of us.

Maybe we could form a corporation/club with membership dues, set up solely for the purpose of testing Z performance stuff. All members would have a vote in what's to be tested and on who's vehicle(s). All tests could be done using real measurements (even if they're not perfectly controlled like dyno's) instead of subjective opinions like when I do something-- I think it feels faster.

If anyone is interested in doing this, please respond. I obviously haven't given this any real thought as to execution, but I'd be willing to help set it up and work through the details.

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: yes, and let's set up a test forum.

> Jacob,

> I have a friend that bought two of these
> things. His were actually made by a company
> called Tornado Air. I think the URL is
> tornadoair.com. Anyway, it's basically the
> same thing. Supposedly creates a vortex to
> improve air intake. Friend wasn't convinced
> after $130. He put one an a late 80s
> Trooper, and the other went on a early 90s
> Taurus.

> I read that K&N clalims to straighten the
> airflow and these guys claim to get it to
> swirl. Who's theory is correct? Hmmm....

> I guess if we see a major auto manufacturer
> creating their own spiralmax or licensing
> with one of these companies, then maybe
> there's something there. Until then, I'd
> save your money.

> If someone has tried one on the Z, let's get
> some feedback. Better yet, we should all
> pitch in a buck or two and buy one to have
> it tested, like 0 to 60 times with and
> with-out on various models.

> I like your idea about a product reference
> page(s).
> I'd be game to do this for numerous
> aftermarket mods. I think hard data for
> things from Plugs to headers would be great
> reference for all of us.

> Maybe we could form a corporation/club with
> membership dues, set up solely for the
> purpose of testing Z performance stuff. All
> members would have a vote in what's to be
> tested and on who's vehicle(s). All tests
> could be done using real measurements (even
> if they're not perfectly controlled like
> dyno's) instead of subjective opinions like
> when I do something-- I think it feels
> faster.

> If anyone is interested in doing this,
> please respond. I obviously haven't given
> this any real thought as to execution, but
> I'd be willing to help set it up and work
> through the details.

> Regards,

> Matt
Matt, I haven't seen these spiralmax things so I'm not sure what they are. I do like the idea, however of testing some of this stuff in the real world, rather than controlled lab situations.

I have been looking for funding for my race team too. Maybe this is an idea to help get sponsors!!

I'd certainly be interested in offering some help.

Rbest

ps. There was a post earlier about bumber stickers and such, but it took too long to post and had to shut off. I've downloaded the zcar.com logo and am going to try and embroider on a hat. with my wifes machine. It runs off our computer and does a real nice job. I'll let you all know.

·
Registered
214 Posts
im goinging to get it and try it out..

once i get the cash together i will test one on my 280zx.. it probably wont do anything tho..

will

300cc.hypermart.net
home.earthlink.net/~icnicon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dont get it its bs its sits inside your intake and does not to ****, there is another company that does the same things(Tornado air managment)

well at least this my opinion based on making that mistake and getting one(from Tornado)some time ago

Roman

> I was reading my Turbo magazine I saw a ad
> for
> spiralmax. I checked out the webpage it
> sounds
> good but it is hard to believe their claims
> of performance. If you have tried their
> product,
> post your result. I wish their was a place
> on this web site about products. To see
> which products are rip offs and which ones
> are not.
> Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: im goinging to get it and try it out..

> once i get the cash together i will test one
> on my 280zx.. it probably wont do anything
> tho..

> will

> 300cc.hypermart.net
> home.earthlink.net/~icnicon

I can't remember the name of the other place but there is another firm that makes something very simular to the spiralMax unit and it's based in Australia I am pretty sure. If you go to Lycos I think it was and type in something like Improving fuel economy it will have it in one of the links.
Boy you will love all the other stuff there is out there also to get better gas mileage. I wrote the SpiralMax some E-mail asking if they had some that would work on a Weber DGV, told them I would need 2 and wanted to know if it would fit on a rectangle carb. and all I got was a general sales pitch (which made me kind of mad) so I wrote them again and told them to not insult a potental customer and answer the first question this time. I hope they get a little more informitive this time around.. well, it's time for DragonBall Z, gotta go....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
WHOA on the Spiralmax!!!!

Whoa guys!!
First of all, I've tried a few products similar to this - even ones with patents and they can't document their claims in a quantifiable way.
If you have a fuel injected car you mant laminar air flow in your intake, that provides the least pressure drop and therefore the best breathing. since the fuel is injected staright into the combustion chamber there is no need for mixing it with the air.
If you have a carburated car you want turbulent air flow because you want to maximize your fuel/air mixing. That outweighs the lower pressure dop of the laminar flow.
This device will be absolutely worthless on a fuel injected car and MIGHT give a fraction of 1% improvement on a carburated car. Pyback in about 300,000 miles. Save your money for a new camshaft.
Phantom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: WHOA on the Spiralmax!!!!

> Whoa guys!!
> First of all, I've tried a few products
> similar to this - even ones with patents and
> they can't document their claims in a
> quantifiable way.
> If you have a fuel injected car you mant
> laminar air flow in your intake, that
> provides the least pressure drop and
> therefore the best breathing. since the fuel
> is injected staright into the combustion
> chamber there is no need for mixing it with
> the air.
> If you have a carburated car you want
> turbulent air flow because you want to
> maximize your fuel/air mixing. That
> outweighs the lower pressure dop of the
> laminar flow.
> This device will be absolutely worthless on
> a fuel injected car and MIGHT give a
> fraction of 1% improvement on a carburated
> car. Pyback in about 300,000 miles. Save
> your money for a new camshaft.
> Phantom

Phantom,

What is laminar air flow? Never heard this term used before.

Thanks. Trying to learn.

Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: WHOA on the Spiralmax!!!!

> Phantom,

> What is laminar air flow? Never heard this
> term used before.

> Thanks. Trying to learn.

> Matt

What I got out of their ad they said that it provided a swirling all the way into the combustion chamber where it got a better mix with fuel injection. It may work, it may not but I kind of wonder how all this swirling air trying to go through the intake keeps any kind of uniform swirl to it and how it keeps air flowing at a max. potental to all the cyl...
When I think of it going into one cyl and then it gets shifted into the next cyl in the fireing order it works on a set resonance wave, how does the swirl interact with this flow, does it break up? is it constant? I wish I could see a computer simulation of it to see what happens after adding one of those things... Also seeing a picture of them putting one of those on top of a carburator doesn't seem like it would work all that great but it may, I'd rather put in inside the intake manifold (in the adaptors of the weber setup) to get a straight flow into the swirl unit from the carbs so it can get a better mix after the air and fuel are done getting metered out by the carb.. I might try to make 2 of them myself and give this a try for something to do, they really look easy to build.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Laminar Flow / Turbulent Flow

OK,
I've read the postings following my WHOA.
I think everyone understands turbulent flow - the air gets all - like turbulent - and that helps it mix with/atomize the fuel. That is fine in a carburated vehicle where the fuel and air mix in the carburator and then flow through the intake manifold together on the way to the individual cylinders. You definitely want the fuel to stay well distributed in the air.
Contrarily, in a fuel injected car you want laminar(smooth & unruffled) air flow to reduce pressure drops in the intake and increase total air flow. The fuel is sprayed in a fine mist into each cylinder as the air enters past the valves which sets up turbulent flow at that point. In the case of a fuel injected car the spiralmax would be counter productive - a negative contributor. In the case of a carburated car it might give you an extra half horsepower. At that rate 10 horsepower would cost you about $2,600!!!! It is not worth the time or money.
> Phantom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.