ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tach doesn't work, and never has, but I am rewiring the car now and want to know the correct way to hook up the HI-6. Should I use the points wiring or magnetic pickup wiring? Which wires go to the tach? I have other questions I'll save for later.

Mike Golding, 72

·
Registered
715 Posts
To hook up your tach, you need to order a tach adapter from crane cams. I dont know much about the petronix (distributer?) but am considering eliminating my stock points and would like your opinion on the unit.

Hope this helps mike- evan

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about the Petronix unit but I installed a HI-6 with a 280XZ Distr. I used the wires for the distributor (white and ??? but definitely not the mag pickup) but had to add the Crane Tach adaptor which is nothing more than the properly sized transformer. I called Crane tech support and they were very helpful. Hope you have the same luck!

·
Registered
247 Posts
> I don't know about the
Petronix unit but I
> installed a HI-6 with a 280XZ
Distr. I used
> the wires for the distributor
(white and ???
> but definitely not the mag
pickup) but had
> to add the Crane Tach adaptor
which is
> nothing more than the properly
sized
> transformer. I called Crane
tech support and
> they were very helpful. Hope
you have the
> same luck!
I have a 71 240 with the
HI-6,PS91 coil,and the XR710
coversion module for electric
ingition and my tach didnt work
either,so i called crane's techs
line they recomended one of
there adapters thirty dollars
later and still no tach,so i
called back and got for free
tried there other unit it also
will not work,you have to
replace your tach,make sure when
you buy your tach to ask if will
work with a MALLORY ingition box
if so then this the tach you
want.Hook up you new tach to the
green lead off yor HI-6 and your
off.You can find the tach you
want in the SUMMIT catalog.GOOD
LUCK.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
called Crane, bad news for 70-73

Crane tech support told me today that no tach adapter will work for the 70-73 Zs. Need to go aftermarket.

Now, has anyone transplanted an aftermarket tach into stock tach housing? or If you put a 5 tach in its place, what do you do about turn signals.

I'm toying with the idea of moounting a custom turn signal pod on top of my steering column. Just have to figure out how to make it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've always thought of Crane as Junk anyway.

Sounds like too much work and cost to me. Unless you want it just because it is custom. If I was you, I would '86' the Crane and get a Pertronix with MSD-?. Although the MSD is a little older style electronics, it is nearly bulletproof and is fairly straightforward as compared to Crane. Crane stuff just looks tacky to me, kind of like cheap Mexican electronics. MSD has been around for years, and many people use them. I don't know anyone with a Crane setup or that recommends a Crane setup, but maybe it's because of the above reasons?? Seems like it fits right at home in Motorsports catalog full of junk though. By the way, the MSD-6A works great in my car and is very durable. One night, I was driving home, and my radiator supports broke, letting my radiator fall onto my fan @3000rpm! My radiator blew up, coolant sprayed all over my engine compartment and up onto my windshield. It was quite an experience. Upon looking under the hood, I noticed everything was soaked, even the MSD! But, after drying the connectors, and installing a new radiator, the thing fired right up! They get my vote for reliablity because of that. Can Crane say the same thing???

Just my .02
240Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.