Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I would like to hear from those individuals with 77Zs who had to replace their ignition module. A million bonus points to anyone who actually had a problem and replacing the ignition module fixed it.

I got my new (reman) AFM today and am keeping my fingers crossed that this will get rid of the starting (reliability) problems I have been having. Everything else is new except for the ignition module, coil and ballast unit and the ECU. And yes, I have a FSM on the way!!!! In either case I am replacing most of the ignition and fuel system parts as I don't like driving a car around with any more 24 year old parts on it than I have to. As always, I look forward to your responses. Thanks again.

John

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I have replaced mine ignition module about three times on my 78. I'm no my 4th one. Every problem that I had all traced back to that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear from you. What were the symptoms that lead you to changing it? Thanks again. John

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
The fuel pump stop pumping. I alway thought that was from fuel pump relay. No, it was an ignition module. the car not turing over, that was mix with bad solonoid and ignition module. once I just fried it by hooking up the battery wrong.....oops : )

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The symptoms of an ignition module failure are usually tha the car will suddenly lose power and (if I remember correctly) all electricla systems will fail. I can't remember if this is really all electrical systems (lights, etc), or if it is just the engine. Seems to me it would just be the engine. But, the car will die after it warms up. It will occur more in warmer climes. The reason is that the ignition module is transistor-based, and transistors get hot and fail with age. So as the car warms up and the ignition unit gets hot, it will fail and the car will come to a dead stop. In about 1/2 hour, the engine will fire right up and all will be well again.

I had that happen and replaced the trigintion (transistor ignition) module. Solved the p[roblem and it ran better as well. Usually, it is the trignition unit when everything else has been replaced and it does not solve the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went to napa today to find out about this, as I think it is what is wrong with mine, the car runs fine, but once it gets hot, like after running it hard, it doesn't like to start, and doesn't get any spark at all. It also runs pretty bad when it is cold, like it is getting weak spark, even with a big coil, but the wierdest part is, if it is hot and wont start, bump starting it works fine, it will start right up. I wonder if maybe the starter is drawing alot of power, and the ign' module is weak anyway, so it is not enough to trigger the coil.

Anyway, I went in today, and he's like, well, it's expensive.... how expensive I ask? $214.80 he says..... My jaw hurt after hitting the counter :eek:) Some one also sugested on HybridZ that I switch to the distributor with the coil mounted remotely, thus exposing a brand new module to the extreme heat of the upper radiator hose going RIGHT above it...

I dunno, just my $.02
Kris

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
You may be right about the starter. I can hear the fuel noticeably lose power when I crank mine.

But, I disagree about the cold starting. Z's (with all of their emissions systems working) are excellent cold-starting cars. You should never have a problem starting cold I find this kind of strange, and it has nothing to do with the trignition module.

By the way, the modiule i am talking about is located on the passenger side kick panel in the interior. It has nothing to do with under the hood. I am not sure we are talking about the same thing now, but I am not a mechanic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.