ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a set of triple webbers and I was wondering how you go about tuning them, or to be more direct, how much time and money will it take? I am aware of the different chokes, emulsion tubes and all that crazy stuff, so i have some idea of what im getting into.

THanks alot- Evan

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
If you can find some Mikuini's out there get them instead. The Mikuini carb for some reason gives MUCH better gas mileage with little power loss. Webers can be involved to get them tailored exactly like you want them, but the Mikuini's seem more forgiving and don't seem to need as much fine tuning to run well and economically. My 2.8 with 5 speed and triple 40 Mikuinis got 28mpg from LA to Phoenix. Switched to Weber 40 DCOE 18's and drove back getting 17-20 with a lean popping (so the jets weren't too big for sure!). just my .02! I went back to Mikuinis until installing EFI--but that's another post, considering the cost of a new set of carbs...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Tony

Witih a stock motor you're probably better fine tuning the SU's with better needles. To really benefit from the Webbers, you at least need to be running a hotter cam.
FWIW, I've had DCOE40's on my Z for 10 years, and they are just starting to leak a little, have to balance them once every 6 months or so, don't run chokes (So. Cal), LOVE the sound!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Walters

Robert I am running a 280 duration cam, hi6 ignition, 020 bored over L24 motor. Oh yeah, dont forget the header and 2.5" exhaust with no muffler. When I replace the cam (long story), i want to do some minor port work in the head(e31). Should i see a performance increase over stock with the webber set up? also, who set them up for you?

Thanks for everyones input- Evan

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: triple webber gurus? YES!</b>

I have run 40mm triple Webers on a realitively stock 280z and an all out near race street 280z. But most recently 45mm triple Webers on that same motor. I agree with Tony (I think) that the Mikunis are the better way but not because of mileage, Webers can easily do that. I run a different set of jets for traveling as apposed to my muscle car killer jets. The Mikunis are copies of Webers with some improvements with permission of course from Weber. The problem with Mikunis is There are not a lot of Z's out there running them at least compared to Weberized Z's so the expertise levels just aren't there. IMO.
As far a time goes for a beginer expect 1-2 hours to balance the linkages ( should never need it again) and a couple of hours to balance the carbs with a unisyn and a colour tune kit (biggggg help!)
You definately need a Weber book or Mikuni book if you so chose to help set your jets/chokes etc etc etc..
I would be more than willing to help out with your jetting. I have 5yrs experience with them and free access to 2 friends with 40yrs combined experience with Webers and Mikunis.
Go for the Webers IMO
Please keep in touch and let me know how this is going!
ZR8ED!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.