Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

Well, as posted last week, I replaced my AFM with a junkyard version that tested good per the FSM. Before my car failed smog due to high HC at 2500 RPM. With the "new" AFM, it failed HC and CO at idle and 2500 RPM. So much for progress. The kicker is, it seems to be running great. Even the mechanic at the smog shop was unsure. So, does anyone in the Bay Area, preferably the Walnut Creek, Concord, Pittsburg, Antioch area have a known good AFM that has passed smog on your car I can try for the smog test? I'll buy ya lunch! If it does pass then I'll buy a new one...however I hate to spend the money only to have it fail again. Thanks a ton. Hope to hear some responses. My direct email is [email protected]. I live in Bay Point, btw.

Kevin

77 280z

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Any SF Bay Area Z'ers have an AFM I can borrow

Yep, complete new exhaust, fixed all vacuum leaks except a minor one from the front crank seal, ckd compression, timing, fuel pressure, vacuum and all FSM checks. I'm pretty sure it needs an AFM...the first one passed at all settings except 2500 rpm HC. This "new" one from the 'yard failed everything, but it runs ok with the TPS set correctly...the other AFM I couldn't get the car past idle without bending the full throttle switch so it made contact just off idle. Also, my first AFM had no continuity between pins 7-8 with the flap closed, until I put 12v across pins 6 and 9. The new one had continuity across 7-8 with the flap closed and no voltage anywhere, which is correct per the Fuel Inj. troubleshooting guide I have.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

you sound pretty mechanically inclined but just in case you forgot
An oil change helps the hc readings. did u try messing around with the
flap spring to trick the afm ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah, I tried it with the first one. It didn't make any difference. Still missed at speed and couldn't drive unless the TPS was full rich just off idle. Thanks for the response though.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

i know what you are going thru trying to pass inspection
i had a sentra that failed 4 times. high co and hc it was something
in the carburator.

im up in santa rosa so too far for u to borrow my afm.
but another thing came to mind thinking about it
and thats the cold start valve. it could be leaking

what is the condition of the rubber bellow between the afm
and the throttle body?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.