ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
talked to a mechanic about failing the smog test...he looked at the numbers and recomended opening the AFM cover, loosing the hold down screw and moving the gear 90 degrees...adding more tension to the spring. He said this would lean it out and would pass the test under load.
Any comments on this??? Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Why don't he just stuff potato in it. There is thing called by pass screw to adjust AFM to meet emission requirements.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Gary,
I think you should go for it. I am not very familiar with your car but that is exactly wat we did with our Toyota ( also uses an air flow meter like Nissan) I suspect that the %hydrocarbon of your car exshaust gas is too high. Also try to retard your timing a bit. Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ive seen it work. My afm went on the fritz. It was running way too rich. The mechanic working on it did exactly what your talking about and it fixed it, as long as you hold it the right way.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input....

I'll let play with it this week and let you know how the next test goes....probably Friday.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>RE: not 90 degrees.</b>

Gary,

If you move the cog 90 it probably won't even run. Mark where the screw is set with a felt tip pen, and then tighten it just a few notches, maybe 5 at the most. This will lean it out quite a bit. Better, see if a smog station will allow you to do it while the probe is in your pipe.

After you've passed your emmisions, you may have to play with it to get your performance back to where it should be.

Good Luck,

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.