ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted a Borg Warner 5sp at the U-Pull it yard on an '83 Turbo ZX. Anyone have any input on how the Borg Warner performs, and would it be worth pulling for $50 bucks to stick in an early Z?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Depending on how early a Z you're talking about, it might not bolt right in. However, IMO it's a great transmission. I have one in my '82 turbo and one time my clutch went out far from home. Since I didn't have my tools and don't let just any hack mechanic work on it, I drove the thing 375 miles back home before repairing it, shifting via RPM. Needless to say, I missed a few, especially when I had to shut the car off when I stopped, put it into 1st and start it in gear when the light turned green. The tranny survived the abuse and continues to function flawlessly. I'd say $50 for one is a stupendous deal.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I spotted a Borg Warner 5sp at the U-Pull it
> yard on an '83 Turbo ZX. Anyone have any
> input on how the Borg Warner performs, and
> would it be worth pulling for $50 bucks to
> stick in an early Z?

If you can find a t-5 for $50.oo jump all over it. In my area you can't buy one for less than $300.00. I plan on using one on my 450bhp 280Z. A friend is using one on his 400 bhp 240 and it really can take a lot of abuse. I say buy it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
> I spotted a Borg Warner 5sp at the U-Pull it
> yard on an '83 Turbo ZX. Anyone have any
> input on how the Borg Warner performs, and
> would it be worth pulling for $50 bucks to
> stick in an early Z?

$50 is cheap. i agree you should grab it. just an fyi though, the t-5 feels alot more notchy than a non-turbo 5 speed. it does have a little bit higher ratios also (good off the line). if you're running a stock or mildly modified car, i would say pull the tranny and post it to trade for a freshly rebuilt 82 or 83 5 speed. chances are someone will go for it with a small amount of cash involved, and you will have a tranny that's smoother shifting and almost as strong as the t-5 with brand new internals. if you like the higher ratio deal, swap your rear end for a 3.90 or 4.11.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.